U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 03:46 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,529,148 times

Advertisements

Oceanic Half-Circle Aquarium 144 Gal. with Black Trim

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

As an avid aquarist with several fish tanks, I saved up several months of salary to purchase a high end "Starphire" aquarium. "Starphire" glass is a special aquarium glass that has very low iron content. As a result, the glass appears clearer and crisper than any other aquarium medium - including acrylic. Resultantly, Starphire glass is extremely expensive and envied by every freshwater and saltwater hobbyist.

The tank I purchased was the 144-gallon curved glass Oceanic aquarium system. Purchased in 2008, I chose this system for the brand name and moderate cost of $4300. This system is quite large, so large that I paired it with a 55-gallon sump and bought the designated stand and aquarium light from the Oceanic dealer as well.

The aquarium itself is absolutely stunning. With the Starphire glass and Oceanic T-5 fluorescent fixtures, my fish are brighter, more colorful and more beautiful than ever. Also, the curved glass of the aquarium makes for easy cleaning and even more room for my fish. The matching deep red cherry oak stand and canopy match almost any décor, from creams and deep greys. The oak stand also has a convenience back door entrance that allows me to slide the sump aquarium in and out during moving and construction.

The canopy has a generous 5-inch spacing between the lip of the aquarium and the canopy itself, which allows for heat exchange so the T-5s do not overheat the water or their ballast. This design also allows for versatile upgrading. If you want to place moon lighting or compact fluorescents for corals or plants, there's plenty of room to do so in the canopy.

The only disadvantage of this tank is its size. A 144-gallon is definitely not for the casual hobbyist! Oceania has options though, and a very similar design is available as a 76-gallon as well. For the 76-gallon, hobbyists could even forego a sump and opt for the more common hanging or canister filter.

In terms of beauty and investment, I rate this aquarium very high. You may pay several thousand dollars, but this is an aquarium that will last a lifetime.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews