U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 03:46 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,526,855 times

Advertisements

The KitchenAid Trash Compactor KUCS02CRSS

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

Our first trash compactor was a GE, and it was the 15" width so we were stuck on getting the same size when it decided to give up on us. It had served us for twelve years before it began to lose some of its pressure and just wear out.

Our first thought was to have it repaired, but that didn't make much sense for an appliance that was already that old. My wife wanted to change colors in the kitchen anyway, so she talked me into shopping for a stainless steel compactor.

As we had expected, prices were higher for compactors than they had been when we bought the other one, and we looked at GE again. At $699, the KitchenAid KUCS02CRSS was about the same in price and we chose it based on what the sales person told us at the store. My wife had also read that it was a very dependable model.

After they installed the compactor, the first thing I noticed was it was quieter than the old one and, of course, it had better power. When we used it for a couple of months, I was able to determine that one bag had about four times the capacity of a standard bag of trash. I came to this conclusion by deducting how much trash I had carried out the weeks after the old one quit and before we got the new one.

Although I never considered calculating how much compaction we got from the GE, I think it compressed more trash into a bag than the KitchenAid does, and over time, I'm sure that would equate to a little more expense.

One thing we do like about this unit is the odor control fan. Even though we try to be careful of some of the items we put in the compactor, it's easy to have smells coming from one. The foot release is a good feature to have, too, because no one ever goes to the compactor without something in their hands to put in it, so a hands free feature is a benefit.

As with most models we considered, the KitchenAid has the side removal of trash so there's less chance of dropping garbage all over the floor while you try to remove it.

We probably would have gone with the GE if we had the choice again, but this compactor serves us pretty well. I give it a 3 out of 5 rating.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews