Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 02:40 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Bose Accoustimass 16 home theater system speakers

Rating: 2 out of 5
  • Currently 2.0/5.0

I understand people paying a lot of money for speakers to listen to the music, but adding them to the TV, which already has perfectly good built-in speakers, in order to watch baseball games, is beyond me. But, you do not get between your man and his games, so I had to welcome five additional speakers to our living room.

What my husband bought was Bose Accoustimass 16 home theater system, with five Direct/Reflecting cube satellite speakers, which he attached to our living room walls. There are fairly thick wires coming out of them, which are very difficult to hide, seriously challenging my interior decorating skills. What happened to the wireless technology?

These two-way speakers have a pair of 2-1/2-inch drivers, each driver mounted in a separate cabinet. Each can be configured so that the sound from one driver comes to the ears directly, while the other bounces the audio off surrounding walls. This creates the sound of much larger speakers, although they are tiny, if it was not for the wires. The Direct/Reflecting cubes are magnetically shielded to avoid causing distortion in a TV picture tube. Lower frequencies are created by the Acoustimass bass module, which has an amplifier powering three 5-1/4-inch woofers.
I must admit I was impressed about how easy it was to install this system, thanks to the color-coded cables and a good quick-start guide. But, that was the only thing I was impressed with: for $1300.00, what my husband paid for this system at the Abt Electronics , I did not expect the sounds to come and go from individual satellite speakers. I do not know whether the problem is in wires or the design, but I expected more from BOSE. It seems that I should not have expecting more, since the reviews for this system are not flattering.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews