U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 AM

2,186 posts, read 3,743,512 times

Advertisements

Garmin 1690 Nuvi GPS

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

My job keeps me on the road so a GPS is not just a luxury, but a necessity. I invested in the Garmin Nuvi 1690 GPS because of the many features it offered and because of the Garmin name. This is a premium navigator with a Google-based search that makes it an ultimate on-the-road tool. It also provides traffic and weather reports along with local information including flight times. The Bluetooth hands-free calling is another favorite feature since I am often in contact with associates before I arrive at certain events. That makes it easy to talk as much as I need without having to stop. Add reality view and lane guidance and it is a great companion for every trip.

The Nuvi 1690 does not have the voice recognition, an MP3 player, and 3D buildings that can be found on some other models but these are extras that I don't need. What it does have is a cellular connectivity that provides me with a current listing of POIs and it offers real-time data. It speaks the street names so that I don't have to look at the screen to know when my turn is coming up. It also has easy to read menus and it's easy to set up.

I like the large screen of the Nuvi 1690 and it does everything I need from helping me plan my trips to finding faster routes. It will also find specific addresses so I'm not suddenly lost when I roll into town.

One problem that I have with the GPS is that is has a really short battery life. It has also led me in the wrong direction a few times but considering the number of trips I take, it has performed exceptionally well. Usually, the confusion comes from giving a left instead of a right or visa verse.

I wasn't aware that the NuLink is only free for the first two years so buyers should realize that they will have to pay extra after that. It also seems to depend on what area I am in whether it acquires a satellite quickly or it takes some time. It also gives only the straight line route instead of giving you alternate routes to save time due to traffic or delays. The GPS 1690 has an SD slot that offers you more storage area which I really like having

This is one of the most expensive GPS systems on the market and it has some great features. It still has some bugs to be worked out.

Review by professional reviewer, Sep. 1, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews