Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

General Electric Free-Standing Electric Range Model # JBP35DMWW

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

If you're looking for a reasonably priced, simple oven with a better-than-average functionality, the GE free-standing electric range could be the appliance for you. Not only is this a super-large, 5.3 cubic foot capacity oven, it is also a self-cleaning oven. These two features make it an ideal family-sized oven that can be used day-to-day as well as for large dinner parties or special occasions without having to worry about keeping it clean.

I have used the JBP35DMWW model for five years and have found it sufficient size for my large family of six. I like the fact that the one-piece upswept porcelain enamel outer surface is easy to keep clean, but I do tend to avoid using the interior self-cleaning feature because it requires the oven to be running for approximately four hours at a very high temperature which I don't find very fuel efficient. The oven shelves can be fairly easily cleaned with steel wool and although the surface drip pans may be cleaned in the dishwasher, I still find I have to replace mine once a year. The cook top also lifts easily for cleaning.

What I do like about the oven is the touch control pad which not only facilitates the setting of the clock and timer, but also provides a delay bake option. The clock setting can also be blacked out if you don't need it to display continuously. The timer is very easy to set--just press and hold until the desired number of hours or minutes is displayed. Using the cook time pad, the oven can be turned on and set at the correct temperature for whatever time you require; after that set time, even if you are not home, the oven will turn off. Similarly, the delay bake setting is used to set a time for the oven to come on as well as turn off, so foods that do not spoil easily can be cooked in your absence.

One feature that I find a bonus on this range, that has a modest MSRP of $599, is the large storage drawer under the oven. This is ideal for large pans or baking trays. Another nice feature, aside from the large oven window, is the oven light which can be switched on and off as required.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews