Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Insinkerator Badger Food Waste Disposer 5-81

Rating: 2 out of 5
  • Currently 2.0/5.0

The Insinkerator Badger 5-81 food waste disposer is admittedly only the second garbage disposal I've ever owned and had much experience with, but it really has been a disappointment. It certainly looks fine, just like any other garbage disposal, but that's where anything good about this appliance ends.

The Badger is rated at .5 horsepower (HP) - I'm not sure if that's a good rating for a normal household or if this model is just no good. All I know is that right after getting this unit I tried to peel potatoes in my sink like I did with my old disposal and it clogged the drain right up. My old disposal was rated at 1 HP, so I guess my expectations were a bit high for this one. For $150-$200 (plus install), I expected this unit to perform like my old one. I've heard tales of people putting chicken bones down their disposal and not having problems (though I wouldn't attempt that), so I didn't expect a few potato peels to jam things up.

After paying a plumber to clear the line, I now just use this disposal to mainly clear the line whenever the drain backs up a bit with whatever random debris ends up down there. I always make sure to scrape my dishes completely before putting them anywhere near the sink. The Badger works great for a few stray coffee grounds, but at this point I don't trust it enough for more than that.

If you want a garbage disposal that can do what you expect of it, look for one rated at 1 HP. This .5 HP disposal has proven to be nearly useless around my household and we don't even have kids putting stuff down the drain. The only reason I don't give it a "1" is because it hasn't outright failed on me yet.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews