U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2011, 06:31 AM

2,186 posts, read 3,654,414 times

Advertisements

Breville BTM800XL Tea Maker, One Touch Electric

breville-btm800xl-tea-maker-one-touch-electric photo
Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

Spending $251.99 (at Amazon) on a glorified water heater sounds like a madness, unless you are a passionate tea drinker. That is how much I had to spend on a perfect automatic tea maker. After a lot of research, I opted for Breville BTM800XL Tea Maker, One Touch Electric. Now, I wake up in the morning to the aroma of my favorite tea already brewing.
Everything about my new Breville speaks quality: it is made of stainless steel and glass, and only piece of plexiglass is used for the handle. The kettle is made in Germany by Schott. The design is high-tech and my tea maker looks perfectly suited to my already high tech kitchen.
Since different teas require different water temperature and different immersion time to reach perfect flavor, having a fully programmable tea maker was a first requirement for a perfect tea machine. Breville is programmable from 160 to 212 degrees, and from one to ten minutes, in half minute increments. Nifty little LCD shows all settings.
The way Breville infuses tea in the water is unique and it is fun to watch: magnetically powered mechanism moves basket with lose tea leaves up and down through water, until the brew is just perfect. You can see the color of water changing to make an ideal cup of tea. I find the gentle movement of the tea basket strangely soothing, exactly what tea drinking is supposed to be.
Unfortunately, the kettle cannot be washed in a dishwasher and to clean it you have to boil water in it, or water mixed with vinegar. I guess it is not such a big deal, considering that 'real' tea drinkers never wash their tea kettles. Something to do with the flavor of detergent spoiling the flavor of the tea.
Since my wonderful tea machine has a 'keep warm' setting, I wish I had one for the office as well. Not with this price, though. Maybe I will convince my husband to get me one for Christmas.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews