Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 01:37 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Zwilling JA Henckels Four Star 9-Piece Knife Set

zwilling-ja-henckels-four-star-9-piece-knife-set photo
Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

Having a good set of knives is a must for any cook, even the weekend one like my daughter. So, when she moved to her new house, I bought her the same one I had for years - Four Star made by Zwilling JA Henckels.
Four Star knives are made of high carbon stainless steel for blades, with break-proof polypropylene handles. The handles are extremely comfortable to handle, shaped to fit perfectly into a cook's palm. They end with elegant steel end caps, which give them the look of solidity and professionalism. The blades are set into handles with so-called 'rat-tail' tangs for total security.
The blades are extremely sharp and are hardened with with Friodur ice hardening process. They need to be used with extreme care, if you are not used to really sharp knives, as it is very easy to get hurt if you are not cautious. On the other hand, they are very well balanced for fast chopping and slicing.
Although Four Star knives are dishwasher-proof, I would suggest not to risk it.

The nine piece set consists of 8-inch Chef's knife, 2 3/4-inch peeler, 5 inch serrated utility knife, 3- inch parer knife, 5-inch hollow edge santoku, 8-inch bread knife and 9 inch steel kitchen shears. The whole set is packaged with a beautiful wood storage block.

The Four Star knives are being used by a number of famous chefs and some of them cooperated in their design. I do not think my daughter fits in that category, in fact I do not think she even knows what a santoku is, but it is always good to start with good tools, maybe she will get inspired to start some serious cooking.

We got this set at Macy's for $785.00, which is less than I paid for mine a few years ago. It is the proof that the high class only gets more valuable with time.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews