Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 03:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

Saeco Stainless Steel Aroma Espresso Machine

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

I owned the predecessor to the Aroma, the Starbucks Barista. I adored this machine for its style, quality build, and ease of use. But after years of abuse and one too many rough moves, it gave up its will to live. I retired it and returned to Starbucks hoping for another quality machine to replace my old friend. I found the Aroma, which seemed similar in appearance and boasted similar specs. So I shelled out $329 and took it home with great expectations. I was disappointed. As an espresso machine, this product is decent. It is compatible with both loose grounds and espresso pods, is easy to use, and makes a consistently good shot of espresso. The finish is also attractive and modern, and would compliment practically any décor style. It is tall, like many others on the market with comparable capacity, and can be a little cramped if you are storing it on the back of a counter that has cabinets overhead. Ultimately, the design of the machine is poor, particularly the position of the steam wand. The awkward location makes it difficult to slide the milk jug in place without having to moving the entire machine. The Aroma espresso machine is a perfect example of functionality and beauty being compromised by inferior design, and is incapable of justifying a $329 price tag. Other brands, such as Breville or Gaggia, offer superior machines for the same price. Unlike the Aroma, these machines were designed with the user in mind, yet still win high marks for style, efficiency and price. I returned the Aroma the day after I bought it and the Starbucks manager was very apologetic and accommodating with the processing of my refund. I hope they will scratch this line and start again, but until then I'll be investing in a Breville.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 26, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews