U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 11:26 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,538,017 times

Advertisements

Danby DDR7009REE Dehumidifier

danby-ddr7009ree-dehumidifier photo
Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

We bought an older home a couple of years ago. It is just the right size for the two of us and has a small basement suite in the event someone comes over for a visit. It is our first house with a basement, and we didn't realize there was a moisture problem in the basement until after we moved in.

One of our new neighbors suggested a dehumidifier for the problem because the problem is not caused by a water leak, but merely from moisture condensation. With no prior experience with this issue, I looked to Consumer Reports for guidance and got some brand names for dehumidifier units. I decided on the Danby because of the reasonable price ($270) and its satisfaction rating among consumers.

This is a 70-pint dehumidifier, which is said to be good for about two rooms. Since the suite is small, I figured the unit would be large enough for the area. The collection container is only 14 pints, which isn't nearly as large as some other models. I checked on the moisture inside several times during the first two or three days to get an idea of when it needed to be dumped out.

By making so many trips down to the basement, I didn't realize at first what the dehumidifier was doing, but after becoming acclimated, I could tell a difference in the air and how comfortable the basement had become.

As it turns out, the Danby is a good fit size wise, and when we leave all the doors open in the suite, the moisture problem is resolved. I cleaned the initial mildew one time and that was all that was necessary after having installed the dehumidifier. We fixed the place up a little and our daughter loves to stay there when she comes to town for visits because it affords her more privacy.

It wasn't until months after we installed the Danby that I found out our neighbor has the same brand in his basement. I recommend this unit highly because it has worked well for over a year, and it comes with a two-year manufacturer's warranty.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 20, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews