Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 11:26 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Broan Trash Compactor 1050L

broan-trash-compactor-1050l photo
Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

We'd never had a trash compactor before moving into our new house. We didn't pick out the appliances because the house had a previous owner. Most of the kitchen appliances were Kenmore, but for some reason they had the Broan 1050L trash compactor. It looks fine with the other appliances because they are all biscuit colored.

My husband laughed at the compactor at first, thinking it was just a silly toy, but he's come to appreciate the fact of only going to the outside trash can once in a while. We were told that it will hold the same amount of stuff that you can put in 14 tall kitchen bags, but it's a bit hard to really tell if that is true.

I have three kids and prepare a great many meals at home, so we do have stuff to throw away. I would estimate that we took out the kitchen trash three or four times per week when we lived in the other house. Since I have been counting, it seems we only take trash from the kitchen once every two weeks.

After we grew accustomed to the compactor, everyone started putting trash from other cans in the kitchen compactor. My youngest son loves to do "magic' by making trash disappear in the Broan.

It still amazes us how so much can go in such a small space. It's only 12" wide and hardly even noticeable in the kitchen.

The one problem we had with the compactor was the odor, and then we learned you had to put a deodorizing stick in it. I would suggest that anyone who uses a compactor dispose of food in another way because some items cannot be left in the bag until the compactor gets full. Shrimp shells are a definite mistake unless you are taking the trash out almost immediately.

Although this is my only experience with a compactor, I can see how valuable they are and the Broan has done its job well for us. Some of these cost as much as $1,000 from what I've seen, but the selling price for the Broan is only $420, and it's probably worth more than that.

The only real problem with this unit is where it was placed. I would have preferred it placed in a base cabinet near the kitchen door instead of close to the sink. On a scale of 5, we would have to give the Broan a 4.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews