Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 03:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

Makita BDF452HW 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2-Inch Driver-Drill Kit

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

Despite its small size (about 8 inches), this drill packs a lot of power. At under four pounds, I didn't expect the drill to really have as much torque as it does. I bought the drill because I was fed up with struggling to use my lightweight Black and Decker cordless drill around the house but not being able to do what I wanted because it was too weak. This one has more than solved the problem of not having enough power.

I am a casual drill user, not into HVAC or heavy carpentry or anything of that sort. This drill is great for that. It's a little heavier than my last cordless drill, but it more than makes up for that. When I first got it I used it to attach a shelf to a brick wall. I didn't really expect it to work on masonry, but it did beautifully. It's great for casual jobs of all sorts. Once I started using a drill that worked well, I couldn't stop.

The lithium battery charges to a decent power level after twenty minutes which is substantially better than the three hour charge on my last drill. Three hours is just too much lag time when you have thing to get done. I like it so much I have purchased other tools that use the same Makita battery system.

There are a few things that don't work as well. For me, the balance seems a little off. I have small hands, and it could be that because my hand doesn't fill the grip it's not centered as it should be. Also, one of the batteries ran until it died (quite abruptly) and then refused to charge. I sent it back to Makita, had a new one returned, only to find that one faulty as well. I finally have two working batteries and am completely satisfied.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews