U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 05:06 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,572,371 times

Advertisements

Singer 8 Stitch Sewing Machine Garment Care 1507WC

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

Sewing is not really I enjoy doing. My family starting from my grandma down to my sister and female cousins know how to sew. My grandmother tried to teach me but I wasn't too interested so I didn't learn how to sew my own dress and I ended up knowing the basics. In my mind everybody in the family knows how to sew and if I need something done I will just ask my mom.

However when I moved, I ended up paying $10-20 for minor clothes repair such as cutting and adjusting the length of a pair of pants because I can't find the exact length for my height or to change zippers. Because of that, I decided to get a sewing machine last year to save money. When I saw the singer sewing machine on sale for $ 90 I bought it and I think the price is right considering that Singer is well-known in manufacturing high quality sewing machines.

I can say that my sewing machine has a powerful motor with a durable metal frame. It is compact, easy to keep and I can just carry it around without a problem. It comes with a free arm with Accessory Storage which is useful in keeping in one place all the accessories included such as Zigzag Foot, Zipper Foot, Button Foot, Buttonhole Foot, Screwdriver, Seam Ripper/Brush, Pack of Needles, Bobbins, Quilt Guide, Darning Plate, Oil Bottle, Large and Small Spool Caps, Soft-sided dust cover. It is complete for all my needs to refresh my basic knowledge in sewing.

Compared with the traditional sewing machine my grandma used to teach me, my new sewing machine is easier to operate for a beginner like me. I referred to the manual before using it and I find it easy to understand and follow. One of my problem is putting the thread on the needle because I have a poor eyesight, it would be better if it automatically puts the thread to the hole of the needle. My other problem is the thread knots at the back of the cloth most of the time when I am stitching which frustrates me a lot because It only shows that I am not skilled. I am just glad that it is easy to thread and load the bobbin.

The stitching is great. I like the zigzag stitch for my pants. I think this sewing machine is safe for a 12 year old kid to learn the basics of sewing. For a starter like me, this machine is perfect since my only intention in buying this is for minor clothes repair, like changing zippers. I need to practice more so I can make the most out of it. At least I'm no longer paying extra money for any minor repairs I need for my clothes. With my new singer sewing machine I can do it myself!

By: Marivic Cabural

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 20, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews