Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 07:02 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

Sharp R209-KK Microwave Oven

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

We got this microwave in order to have one small enough to fit on a kitchen rack we recently purchased. We have had large microwaves in the past with larger wattages, but since we didn't use them all the time, the power output wasn't going to be a big deal.

This microwave is relatively compact in size, and the black color fits in nicely with the rest of the kitchen décor. The two times we have had to move the microwave from the rack to the counter was pretty easy because the microwave doesn't weigh much at all. The input panel is easy enough to use, and has the standard popcorn, reheat, and timer settings. It would be nice if the panel was backlit for using when the kitchen lights are dimmed, but this unit doesn't carry that feature. I've had microwaves in the past when the rotating inside carousel sometimes slips off the tracks when a large plate is placed on top of it, but I have never had that problem with this one.

Although this microwave is rated at 800 watts, it has more than enough power to handle the basic everyday tasks of reheating foods and popping popcorn. Although I will say that the popcorn setting does tend to leave a few unpopped kernels, and we have to sometimes stop the popcorn cycle early to prevent burnt kernels.
Thawing frozen food items is an entirely different issue. When I have tried to unthaw, say, a pound of frozen ground beef, the microwaves defrost setting is not very powerful and thawing takes quite a while. And even when the frozen food is almost thawed, the ground beef and other meats have begun to cook a little, which is not ideal.

One drawback of having a smaller sized microwave is that tall mugs won't fit in it. Instead of boiling water on the stove when I want tea, I sometimes prefer to just heat a tall mug in the microwave for a minute or two. This microwave only accommodates smaller mugs.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews