Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Unbreakable 8-Cup French Press by Bonjour

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

My family knows how much I love coffee, and thus I was quite happy to receive as a wedding gift the Unbreakable 8-Cup French Press by Bonjour to keep at my desk at work. French presses are considered to be a superior method of brewing coffee by coffee connoisseurs, and is catching on in America. While percolating forces the coffee through filters which remove much of the oils and nutty flavor of coffee, French pressing allows the oils and body of the coffee to remain intact while straining out the grounds. The device is operated by putting about two scoops of ground coffee into the carafe, and then pouring in hot water around 200F degrees. The coffee is allowed to steep for five minutes, and then the plunger is pressed to depress the strainer and push the grounds and grit to the bottom. The coffee is then poured out from the carafe.

A well made French press is essential, and glad carafes are preferred, as some feel that plastic carafes give the coffee a chemical flavor. This particular French press has a rubber grip that makes handling its hot contents much easier and safe. The base is rubber, ensuring that no damage to surfaces results from the hot glass carafe. The filters and plunger mechanism are stainless steel and guaranteed to last for several years without rusting. This model also comes with a scoop for the coffee grounds, ensuring that the correct amount is used. It is about seven inches high and can make up to eight cups, although in practice I've found it actually produces about six cups.

This particular model comes with a lifetime warranty, and is said to be unbreakable, although I've not yet felt the need to purposely drop it on the floor to test this. It feels heavy and solid and unlikely to cause problems or break from normal use. This model also comes with a small book of blend recipes for various coffees to try out, along with instructions, which were added bonuses. This particular unit came from Bed, Bath and Beyond, which also carries other French Press units. This particular one is about $19.95, which is cheap for the price of French press carafes. Bodum Chambord makes a press for around $49.99, and the average price of French Presses from Bed, Bath and Beyond is around $25 to $30.

If you are a fan of coffee and looking to cut down on your Starbucks bill, consider one of these.

Review by professional reviewer, Sep. 1, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews