U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,536,128 times

Advertisements

Aurora AS420C Desktop Crosscut Shredder

aurora-as420c-desktop-crosscut-shredder photo
Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

I have been using the Aurora AS420C Desktop Crosscut Shredder for about a year now and find that it does my household paper well enough. It is a good, little paper shredder that is only suitable for home use. It costs approximately $19.00 and up so it is a good value for the price.

Small enough to fit on my desktop, the size is 9 x 7 x 20 inches and it weighs approximately 5 pounds. It shreds the paper in a semi-crosscut pattern (more strip-like) which is supposed to be better for security purposes. The size of the shredder blade entry is 4.5 inches. The machine has a handle which is handy when moving it from one location to another. The basket can hold up to 40-sheets to shredded paper. The manufacturer says it can shred credit cards, and papers with clips and staples but I haven't given this a try. The shredder that I had before this one was not capable of shredding anything but paper, for this reason I am afraid to try this one with anything else. There is a reverse button if you need to reverse the shredding cycle. Another good feature is that the cord is detachable. It is easy to clean out and clean when it needs it, no need to unscrew anything and the cleaning tool is included. It is not overly noisy either. The oval shape and the color make it a nice decorative item on the desktop.

The small size of the shredder blade entry area could be larger. In order to shred a regular sheet of printer paper (and most other papers), you have to fold it in half. This is not normally a big problem except when you are in a hurry or have lots of paper to shred... When you fold the paper, the folded area does not shred small enough (ends up double the size as the rest of the shredded pieces) so I usually put that through twice. They state it is a crosscut shredder but it tends to cut more in straight lines than crosscut.

Overall, the Aurora Desktop Crosscut Shredder works well. It can handle tougher jobs than many other shredders within the price range but still has some design issues and shredding issues that could be improved upon.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews