U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 03:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,548,665 times

Advertisements

Masterbuilt 20010109 Butterball Professional Series Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer

masterbuilt-20010109-butterball-professional-series-part-2 photo
Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

Having owned a gas turkey fryer previously, I decided my next fryer would be electric. I wanted the convenience of being able to cook indoors, and I also consider the electric models to be safer than the propane units.

When reviewing the specifications of the Masterbuilt 20010109 electric turkey fryer, some key features I have found appreciable are:

* the Masterbuilt fryer can cook large sized turkeys, up to 14 pound birds
* an adjustable thermostat is included for easy heat control
* the oil can be filtered upon draining, allowing cost savings from multiple uses
* clean up is as easy as cleaning a turkey roasting pan
* it has the versatility to fry other foods such as whole chickens and fish
* the price is reasonable with an MSRP of $179.95

This turkey fryer does not require you to buy cooking oil in 5 gallon drums. Depending on what you are frying, usually 2 gallons is sufficient and since it filters on draining, you can reuse the oil.

The fryer heats up quickly and the thermostat is accurate because I always test oil with a hand held thermometer.

One con I had was the length of the cord which limited where I could place the fryer, but that is easily remedied with an extension cord. Another con is judging how much oil you need. There is a maximum fill line and if you are not careful, when you put your turkey in the pot, it will force the oil to a higher level.

You do have to let the oil cool before removal and cleanup, but this is true of any fryer and not really a downside to the unit in particular.

The lid is flimsy and the fryer basket handle is poorly designed, allowing it to sink down into the oil. You can remedy this with a lifting utensil.

I noticed others complaining about their turkey not getting done or their wings not crisping. I discovered it takes some getting used to, and when frying anything the oil has to be hot enough before the meat is added and the temperature may require adjusting to keep it hot enough afterwards. I use a backup thermometer to check the oil temp to compare with the thermostat.

Other than some minor issues, the fryer performs well and produces a delicious fried turkey along with many other foods. It is a great value for the price and overall, I am very pleased with this fryer.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 20, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews