U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 12:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,526,855 times

Advertisements

Garmin 1450LMT GPS

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

My wife travels a lot in her work, spending four days on the road some weeks. I am unable to go with her due to my own work, so I thought a GPS would make a nice gift for her. When she mentioned how hard it was to find some of the places she had to go, I began thinking about the GPS more seriously and decided to buy the Garmin 1450LMT for $299.99 at Best Buy.

We didn't want to spend the money for a GPS when we bought the car, but this portable unit makes it possible to use it in any car we might be in at the time. Maps are preloaded into the system and there are lifetime updates so we can download four times per year to get changes in roads and streets.

It's easy to mount the GPS on the dash with the supplied suction cups, and the 5-inch screen gives position at a glance. It features voiced directions, which are necessary when only the driver is in the car. The voice even tells you when you should be changing lanes in advance so you don't have to worry with missing your turn.

Although the images on the screen are not exactly what you are seeing in front of you, the junctions are realistic enough that you know what you are going to have to do in advance.

The monitor lets you know what the speed limit is for many highways and streets, and this has saved my wife a ticket more than once. Of course, the GPS gives alternate routes for trips, records the mileage, your maximum speed and the total time of a trip.

The flaw with this GPS is the size of the monitor. For some people, it is probably large enough, but we both find that it is difficult to see it well enough from behind the wheel of the car, so the feature she uses most is the audio voice giving directions.

Before I buy another GPS, I will try to find one that is larger or easy to position in a place where it can be better seen.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 20, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews