Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Emerson Microwave Black mw8992SB

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

We received this Emerson microwave as a wedding gift, so we were at first happy to get what we considered an upgrade from our previous cheap microwave. It's a very large microwave that is easily able to contain a large dinner plate for quick reheating of leftovers, unlike the smaller one we had before. We have the all-black version of this unit, and it is very attractive. It has a ton of features that we admittedly haven't even gotten around to using yet, like auto cook and defrost buttons that allow you to enter the what you're cooking/defrosting and the weight - it figures out the rest. All in all, it's a pretty standard nice microwave at first blush.

Unfortunately, after having this microwave for just a few months the door cover came clean off when I was trying to open it. I wouldn't say this microwave is any harder to open than any other microwave (so I don't think I pulled on it overly hard), but when I opened it, the whole front of the door came off in my hand. Basically, the door cover (to which the handle is attached) is only held on by a series of clips. The microwave remains sealed by the actual door when this happens. I was able to just push the cover back on, but the cover has come off in my hand several times since. So now every time I open the door I have to apply pressure on the front of the door with my other hand so the cover doesn't come off. Couple this with the fact that there have been reports of this model catching fire, we decided to use a different microwave.

I give this Emerson microwave 3 out of 5 stars because it actually worked pretty good while we were using it, but the door cover issue and the supposed fire hazard makes me want to never use it again.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews