U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,538,017 times

Advertisements

Proctor Silex 17210 Hamilton Beach Iron

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

This was just an iron I bought for standard ironing. I didn't need anything fancy. As long as it heated up fast and got rid of the wrinkles, it would do.

It looks like a standard white iron, and nothing really stands about its appearance. I do like the see-through water level holder on the side, so I know how much water is in its internal reservoir. I like all my clothes steam-ironed, but if the reservoir is too full, water will come out of top spout, and the sole plate will spit water as well. It's pretty lightweight, heats up fast and puts out a nice amount of steam.

When I was younger and had a shorter attention span, I used to burn myself on irons all the time due to my not realizing they were still on. This particular iron has a red light indicating whether it is indeed powered on, which for me is a great feature to have. There is also a knob on the iron's handle that has three settings to control how much steam comes out while ironing. And I can press this knob down a few times to get water to come out of one of the little nozzles, if I need to dampen or moisten something before ironing.

This iron also has the standard dial for controlling the temperature the ironing surface reaches, depending on what type of fabric is being ironed. It is safe for everything from nylon and rayon, to cottons and linens. Most of the stuff I iron is either cotton or a cotton blend, so I usually turn the iron up to its highest setting.

There is not much to dislike about this iron. It does spit water sometimes if the internal reservoir is too full, and I hate trying to iron something if it is wet. Other than that, it's a pretty good, sturdy, inexpensive iron.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews