U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,560,507 times

Advertisements

Specialized Rockhopper bike

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

I bought Specialized Rockhopper bike to replace my old workhorse because the reviews say that it works good both on the city streets and on the trail. My idea was to use it to go to work occasionally, and to hit the trails at the weekend, and I did not want to have two bikes, and I did not want to spend a fortune. So far so good. It is comfortable to ride, and it looks great.

The bike has a mountain bike frame, but also an adjustable front wheel suspension that allows for both smooth city roads and bumpy trails. I purchased it with hybrid wheels which are less thick than mountain bike. but more so than racing bikes to give myself most flexibility in terms of use, what means mostly not to fall on my face over the trail bumps.

The quality of components is great, as one would expect from Specialized: the dual-piston hydraulic disc brakes with 160mm rotors are fantastic- they stop well even when going downhill and in the rain. They also last a lot longer than the disc brakes on my old bike, which I had to replace every two weeks.

The bike uses TSRAM X5 medium-cage rear derailleur and 9-speed trigger shifters, and the crank-set uses Octalink BB interface for power transfer.

The bike is lightweight but sturdy, with M4 alloy frame, and it looks like it will last, but it requires maintenance. It is comfortable to ride with butted alloy riserbar, and Enduro, dual compound Kraton grips without flange. The saddle is Specialized Rockhopper XC, 143mm wide, with front and rear bumpers, good enough to support even my ample frame so I did not have to replace it.

The price of $610 at the local bike shop was not bad, I think that I got a very good quality/price ratio. All I have to see now is how long it will last, since I had it only for six months.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews