Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 02:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

If I had too much money and too little common sense, I probably would pay the price of a Fein Multitasker and brag to my entire do it yourself friends that I owned one. However, I find it hard to believe that the Fein is worth the extra price, which can run three times higher. If you want to pick up the product today don't go to Home Depot or Lowe's as I did, only to discover that it takes a real tool store to offer Rockwell in my area. The MSRP is around $180 unless it happens to be on sale.

When multitools first burst upon the scene I was not really too impressed. I didn't think I needed this limited tool. Boy was I wrong! I use the Rockwell in so many ways every week. I am a heavy DIY'er and love to work with my hands. I am a certified blacksmith, a decent woodworker, and my own auto mechanic when I do not need complex diagnostics.

I find I can polish my metal creations and reach small areas that need attention and yet I can still polish larger areas with great results. The slim design of the motor fits my hand well and does not tire me out as some of my other power tools have a tendency to do. Shaping, scraping, sanding, or polishing is accomplished with the same ease, as long as you do not touch the power head after a long run time. It can become quite hot after long use.

In my blacksmithing, I have even used the cutting blade to cut small in areas where no other saw could reach. I had to scrape a bathroom floor covered with asphalt tiles and was so happy with the Rockwell's ease of use, particularly in the corners.

I have to admit that I am not impressed with the attachment system for tools and attachments that requires the use of a hex key which as far as I am concerned is a pain in the hand. It is not an overwhelming task but the Fein device is much easier to use.

Trying to locate supplies, sandpaper, cutting blades and the like will call for another run to the tool store if you don't plan ahead. Think over what you will be using the Rockwell Sonic Crafter for and purchase disposables accordingly.

Maybe someday, I will own a Fein but at this time, I can't imagine why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews