Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 02:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

DeLonghi 1500-Watt Utility Heater DUH500

delonghi-1500-watt-utility-heater-duh500 photo
Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

I needed another space heater, and I had a department store gift card, so I picked this one up. I was looking for something relatively cheap and could do a decent job of heating a small area, and this unit seemed to fit the bill.

Now this thing has some surprising power. Even though it is small in size, it packs quite a punch as far heating an area quickly and effectively. I never expected a heater this small and inexpensive to do such a great job.

Just looking at it, it looks like the type of heater a mechanic in a garage somewhere would use. The unit is black with a little gray trim, and it's made of some kind of metal material. I wasn't much concerned with aesthetics, however, as it was basically free with the gift card I used. It doesn't weigh anything so it's easy to move around, and it has a handle on top that doesn't get hot regardless of how long the heater has been on, which is important. There is some kind of vertical protruding bars on the front of the heat where the grill is. I suppose these are there to keep the grill from touching anything should it get knocked over.

The basic heating mechanism on this one appears to be some internal metal wires being heated, and then a fan blowing the heat out into the room. There is a standard thermostat knob, and a couple of different wattage switches, medium and low. The low wattage setting is 600w, the medium one is 900w, and both switches at the same time produce 1500 watts total. When I set this heater to 1500 watts, it really blows hot and fast.

It has an internal temperature gauge that will turn the unit off if it overheats, and surprisingly, this is one of the things I don't like about it much. It seems to overheat far too often and automatically shuts itself off. If I leave the room for too long, I come back and find the thing turned itself off. Besides that little quirk, I definitely recommend this heater.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews