Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 03:53 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Sharp R-230KW 800-Watt 4/5-Cubic-Foot Compact Microwave

sharp-r-230kw-800-watt-4-5-cubic-foot-compact-microwave photo
Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

My daughter started college last year and wanted a compact microwave for her dorm room. My husband and I thought it was a good idea since we were giving her a compact refrigerator, too, and this would allow her to prepare snacks and meals in the room on occasion.

We purchased the Sharp R-230KW microwave unit in white for her. The list price of $99 was very affordable for the unit considering what she'd save on purchasing snacks and foods at the expensive on campus locations.

It is lightweight enough at 22 pounds that she can move it about very easily. We were impressed this unit came with a carousel turntable making it easier to heat dinner plates and reheating leftovers from the cafeteria or restaurants.

It is feature packed for the price with 3 shortcut cooking methods, 6 reheat and 4 cooking programs. It has auto touch controls, digital display, a defrost feature, and pops popcorn with an auto feature for perfect results every time (a snack she loves).

One con about the microwave is that the turntable is prone to shift off the base easily, but my daughter says it is not that big a deal for the amount of cooking she does in it. She just pops it back in place and resumes cooking.

The clock is not backlit or illuminated, but again, this is not a big deal to my daughter. We did not buy the unit to use as a clock.

It is not that powerful, but what do you expect in a .8 cf microwave compact unit that fits almost anywhere? My daughter uses it to heat water for tea, warm coffee, reheat leftovers, pop popcorn, and warm pastries and it performs its intended job well for her.

If you are seeking a more powerful microwave with more cooking space, you might want to consider more cooking wattage and a unit that will most often require more room. This is a unit designed for a small office or dorm room, and we've been happy with the performance thus far.

My daughter did mention that the light is on while the unit is cooking, but turns off when you open the door. She wishes the light would stay on when the door is open which makes it easier to remove the food or beverage inside.

If you need a basic compact microwave for an office or college dorm, the Sharp is a satisfactory performer in its price range.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews