Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 07:30 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,509 times

Advertisements

Every winter, we usually get an uninvited house guest- a mouse.

I do not like the old school wooden mouse traps with the snap wire/spring, I have a terrible time setting them. So I decided to try a trap called "Tomcat".

The trap is black, and looks like a giant clothes pin. It's easy to pinch open, no worries about breaking your fingers. I baited mine with a sticky piece of maple-walnut toffee. And... .......... .... I caught a mouse the first night it was set.

I will NEVER again buy these mouse traps!!!!!!!!!

When I saw there was a mouse in it, I grabbed a ziplock to dump the mouse in so I could dispose of it. The mouse looked like it was nearly smashed in half. I had to shake the trap to get the mouse out of it. Once in the baggie, I noticed that........ THE MOUSE WAS STILL VERY MUCH ALIVE!

Not just alive, but completely uninjured. It began frantically trying to escape the bag. I frantically sealed the bag. We stared at eachother in shock for a few moments.

Now, I'm not grossed out by mice like some people may be. It's a pest, and I don't want it in my house, and I have no qualms about killing it. But I want to do it humanely. As in, one second the mouse is chowing down on candy, the next second it's in mousey heaven. Who knows how long it would have suffered in that trap until it eventually died, if I had not checked it when I did. I related my story to folks at work, and found that some of them has also had similar experiences with the Tomcat trap. Nope, this trap is not for me.

What did I do with the mouse? Well... I released him. Well away from my house. He bounded away into the night, into some rocky hollows along the riverbed. If he returns, all bets are off. I'm going to seek out more deadly methods of mousey doom.

Last edited by Marka; 01-01-2012 at 03:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 05:17 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
I've used them with some success. But if you don't make sure the bait is smeared into the grooves they provide, it's possible for the mouse to eat the bait without setting off the trap. When I check the traps they are quite dead, probably cause I don't check the traps very often. Peanut butter is my bit of choice.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:57 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Burnt peanut butter is the best, hit it with a lighter and it attracts them better.

As for the mouse, the op should have killed it. One mouse will make more mice and there is already enough of them out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews