Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 04:22 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

When I was ready to purchase my garden tractor I walked into the Seas store and walked out with not one but two Craftsman LTX-1000
My LTX-1000 features Briggs & Stratton's upper-end 20 hp Intek V-Twin engine garden tractors. This was a special version of the Craftsman 42 inch blade 27000 series tractor. I featured a 2 cylinder, full pressure lubrication system engine with cast iron cylinders. I have not discovered any other tractor that has this particular combination. It has a hydrostatic transmission, which means it is semi-automatic and does not have a standard transmission although it was offered as an option.

The tractor has a left foot operated clutch/brake pedal that will take some getting used to at first. It does not take much time to operate the tractor without a jerky start. The two-cylinder engine is very smooth compared to a one-cylinder option with less horsepower. If you foresee a future need beyond lawn mowing, i.e. snow throwing with an optional snow thrower you will find the extra 4 horsepower very useful.

The hydrostatic transmission is operated with a lever on the right fender and is in easy reach of the operator. You control the tractor speed with the lever as well as shifting into reverse. You can crawl up a steep hill or shift into high gear and motor down the road to the next task.

After purchasing the tractor for mowing our one-acre lawn, we moved into the country and found new uses for the machine including weed control on more than five acres. I found that it was a good idea to walk the area that was going to be mowed to remove obstructions. This was for two purposes. The first is that the 42-inch cutting action would produce flying debris and children should not be allowed around the mowing area. Secondly, the towers supporting the blades will break if an obstacle, such as a large rock is encountered. Sears parts outlets keep these towers in stock, as breakage must be normal for heavy use.

It is also a good idea to purchase the special case hardened cutting blades for more than just general lawn use as the regular blades lose their edges easily with normal use. I love my Craftsman LTX-1000 Tractor and can't wait to get back in the seat and mow, mow, mow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews