Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Ridgid R2720 3x21 Belt Sander

ridgid-r2720-3x21-belt-sander photo
Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

The Ridgid R2720 is a good medium duty belt sander that can be used for any number of jobs that require a straight sanding action. I have used it in my cabinet business without a hitch. The reason I bought it was because of the shape of the housing.

I don't have a bench sander, so the Ridgid serves as a substitute. Because of the square design, you can lay it on the top and have the sanding surface facing up. This makes it easy to sand items requiring two hands to hold. For instance, sanding the edges of door slabs or drawer fronts is much easier this way as opposed to clamping them in a wood vise and holding the sander.

Some jobs are performed better with a larger sander such as one with a 4"x24" belt, but since I have been using the 3"x21" R2720, I haven't encountered a time when it didn't suffice for any job I had. Having two belt sanders works better when doing production work because you can have fine grit paper on one for fine sanding and an 80-grit on the other for the rougher sanding.

As with any tool, the Ridgid belt sander is better at some jobs than others. If you are interested in buffing a large sheet of plywood to smooth it before you build a piece of furniture, an orbital sander is a better choice. When you are using this sander on a large piece of plywood, you have to keep it moving to avoid eating pits into your wood.

This sander costs about $160, and it will pay for itself many times over if you build cabinets or furniture. It works well on manufactured materials as well as standard wood boards. I haven't found anything about this sander that would make me want to pay more for another brand, and I have used many of them

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 20, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews