U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 03:06 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,560,507 times

Advertisements

Yard Machines 31B-040-800 Snow Fox 12.5-Inch 8.5 Amp Electric Snow Thrower

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

When I moved to my house, my first after a string of apartments, I spent the first three winters shoveling snow by hand. I don't have a huge amount to shovel, just the front and back stoops with a few steps, the sidewalks leading from the doors to the street and the garage, respectively, the community sidewalk in front of the house, and the modest-sized garage apron.

I would have continued on laboriously shoveling things by hand had I not received this snow blower as a gift. At first I was worried because it was an electric model, with a cord that needs to be trailing behind at all times. While this is a hassle (really a huge hassle until I got the knack of looping it over an arm as I tooled along), having a electric machine instead of gas saves untold annoyance. I can't imagine what I would be doing at 6am, needing to clear the driveway to get the car out, when I realize I'm out of gas for the snow blower. Actually I can imagine what I would do: I would have to shovel everything by hand.

The machine works very well. I've used it in snow up to 12 inches with no problem. It's quieter than a gas snow blower and I've never had trouble getting it started, even when it was very cold. It takes about a quarter of the time it took me to shovel by hand. It's easy to move from one area to another and easy to guide along, though I'm by not means a physically strong person.

My only real issue is with the snow throwing capabilities. If the blades aren't aimed straight ahead (straight into the path you will eventually have to get the snow off of), the machine won't get the snow anywhere near twenty-five feet away. When the chute is aimed out to the sides, the distance is closer to five or six feet. It's fine for narrow sidewalks, but not terribly useful on wider spaces like the garage apron.

However, the machine is so fast and inexpensive and easy that I don't let it bother me. For the money it's great for smaller spaces.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or