U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 12:43 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,530,733 times

Advertisements

Tipmann A-5 Paintball gun

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

When we first took up paintball as a sport, we didn't have a lot of expertise on equipment, and so our choices for guns were limited based on our knowledge of what our local field was using. I ended up going with a Tipmann A-5 gun that sold for about $400 from a local paintball field. The design is different from the more expensive semiautomatic guns most frequently used on the fields these days. For one thing, like a shotgun, it requires pumping to chamber the next round, as opposed to simply holding down the trigger and allowing the gun to shoot off ten rounds a second due to air loading. The disadvantage to this is that the Tipman is slower on the field than most other guns. However, the advantage to this is that it forces the user to actually learn to aim when shooting and to be more selective about his targets. Because I am not an aggressive player, I tend to stay back and guard the flag and home base from the bushes. The Tipmann allows me to play more as a sniper than somebody who charges forward. I don't use up nearly as much paint as everyone else, and frequently people underestimate you when they see what you are firing. The giggles and snickers at the staging area are quickly subdued when they are hit by my little gun, because you are out when the paint hits you, it doesn't matter how high tech or expensive the gun that fired it.

The gun has a rapid semi-auto fire round, which can shoot off at about 7 rounds per second if you have a fast trigger finger. This is useful if you need to be fast and fire a lot of paint at once, but aiming is difficult, and the gun is not quiet when it fires, which too often gives away your position. I had to buy a flow regulator and a new barrel which solved the noise and accuracy problem.

The Tipmann is designed after the original marker guns that were used to mark livestock. It is lightweight and sturdy, and although the gun has some plastic parts, it has survived quite a bit of abuse. Tipmann was one of the first companies to enter the recreational paintball scene and the A-5 has not changed design in nearly a decade. Some upgrades on this more recent model fixed some of the bugs of the older models, such as problems with leaking valves that were common on older models. The only real downsides to this gun are that it is slower in play against other, non-pump semiautomatics, it can be difficult to find for sale, and it can sometimes be difficult to find a good barrel for it. Other than that, it is a perfect gun for a beginner player or a child, especially anyone that likes to hang back and act as sniper. It disassembles easily and is a snap to clean. This is a reliable and very good gun.

Review by professional reviewer, Sep. 1, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews