U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,528,085 times

Advertisements

HOOVER 593156 Steam VAC Auto Rinse

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

We weren't sure if we wanted to buy a carpet cleaner because we had heard that none of the residential models were any good. The Hoover 593156 was priced at $199.

There are not that many different models of home carpet cleaners and they all work much the same, so we went with the Hoover because we see more of them than any other brand.

Carpet cleaning isn't rocket science, so I was able to steam clean as soon as I got the Hoover out of the car. I learned to soak the tougher stains for a while before I start cleaning using products designed for this purpose, and performing this step provides a better cleaning job. The results even the first time I used the Hoover were very good, and some tweaking, learning, and becoming accustomed to the Hoover only provided continually better results.

When I first began to use the Hoover, I sometimes put more detergent than was necessary in a mix. Since then, I've started measuring so that isn't a problem anymore.

On the down side, because of the wear and tear due to my using it about every other week, some parts have broken. My husband ordered parts and fixed the problem for now. I don't know if this will be a reoccurring problem or if it is just caused by some weak parts.

I learned to take my time cleaning because trying to hurry only left stains and dirt. If you move very slowly and crisscross at least once, you can usually end up with a good job as long as you don't allow the carpet to get too dirty prior to a clean. You have to allow the unit time to do its job on each square foot of carpet.

My husband is more patient than I am, and he often does the steam cleaning for this reason. There is about 1200 square feet of carpet in our house, so it takes some time to complete a thorough steam clean.

I give this cleaner very high marks as far as cleaning and performance goes, but there is the problem of breaking parts. The manufacturer could improve on the product by addressing this issue.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 20, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews