U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 03:19 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,526,855 times

Advertisements

Transtherm Ermitage 178-233 Bottle 1-Temp Wine Cellar

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

I wasn't aware of the importance of keeping wine at a certain temperature when my wife began to make it. At first we drank up most of the wine as it came off and was bottled, then we began to have some left, began to make more, and suddenly discovered that we didn't have a place to store it.

The wine cellar was my neighbor's idea. He claimed that his dad had always put his wine under the house to keep it cool until it was time to drink it. The Transtherm Ermitage was the first man made electric wine cellar I had ever seen. It's the size of a small refrigerator and you never adjust the temperature.

At 50 degrees, the wine is supposed to age better and retain its flavor. I think it works, and the wine doesn't always need to be chilled when we get a bottle out. We don't have a basement, so I parked our drink box in the garage. When we have company or want a special bottle, it's at our fingertips and we just pull the cork and pour.

Although we do primarily use the cellar for our own wines, we put any wines we buy in it, too. We seldom have it near capacity, but we have come close a couple of times.

The list price for this cellar is $2,595.00, which is more than you might spend on a nice refrigerator. The exacting temperature control would be difficult with a standard frig, and I'm glad we have this unit instead. We looked at one that was smaller before we decided, but there wasn't that much savings between the two.

If you collect wine and/or make it like we do, this wine cellar is a good investment. If you only have a few bottles of wine at a time, the cost would not be worth it. I don't know anything we would have liked to be different about this equipment.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews