Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

It's hard to keep calling the Volkswagen New Beetle new because it was unveiled over a decade ago. Nevertheless, this most iconic of German imports still has a strong following even though I wasn't exactly impressed with it when I got behind the wheel. The image of the New Beetle is one widely recognized. Something about this car just engenders a feeling of nostalgia for the original Beetle of yesteryear.
Still, the domed ceiling creates plenty of head room for the car's occupants. Much has been remarked about how spacious a New Beetle is and I found this to be an accurate assessment of the vehicles interior. It was almost cavernous considering how tiny it appears from the outside. Those German engineers really can conjure miracles.
Nevertheless, performance wise I found that the New Beetle was a bit sluggish. The small engine used in its construction was lacking it get up and I found that the car struggled to keep up. In my mind I picture the New Beetle would be this ball of energy that would zip back and forth. The reality was that the New Beetle wasn't capable of doing much zipping.
However, handling wise the vehicle was very capable and proved its worth up and down the confined spaces of Chicago. While it wouldn't get me where I needed to go in a hurry I found I was more than capable of maneuvering better than many vehicles that I've had the privilege to drive.
All in all, I found the New Beetle still attractive despite the performance issues. Something about its iconic style drew me towards it and I wanted to drive in it again and again. By the way, don't anticipate using this to haul any cargo because the trunk is a real funky shape and I couldn't imagine it holding very much of anything.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 26, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews