Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 04:03 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Sharp Aquos 60" LC60E78UN LCD HDTV

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

My husband and I are real homebodies. We don't go out to big parties often, or even out to the show. And while we do have people over quite often for dinner, or just for a night of cards, our main source of entertainment is the television. That's why when we knew we would have to upgrade at least one of our televisions to accommodate our new and really large living room, we knew obviously that we wanted the best. So we saved up our money to get one, and invested in the Samsung Aquos 60" LC60E78UN LCD HD TV.

I had more reservations at first about this television than my husband did. But he's the really huge TV-watcher in the family and so I left the decision mostly up to him. And there was a lot that he liked about it! The first was that it's LCD, not plasma. That was important to both of us as we knew that plasma often has problems with things like burned-on screen image. On top of that though, my husband also liked the fact that this Samsung came with 1080p pixel resolution video and of course, that it was an HD TV (which I actually think all TVs sold today are.)

One of the things that I liked most about this TV, even right after we took it out of the box, was that it didn't devour the entire room. I thought it would take up our entire space because it is 60", which is unquestionably big for TV! But this Samsung comes in a super-sleek design and is just under four inches wide. Because of this, it's perfect for mounting on the wall and doesn't stand out at all. We've had it wall-mounted since about a week after we got it, and it's never been the eyesore of our living room.

There's another really cool feature about this TV that I love and that's the Active Color Technology that's featured within it. This feature will automatically change the brightness to contrast ratio of the television based on the lighting in the room. So don't worry about the screen being too dark when the lights are down for a movie, or it being too bright when the lights are fully up in the middle of the afternoon. This TV will automatically adjust it for you!

Even with the sleek look and the Active feature however, there are many things that I don't like about this television and those mainly are concerned with the things it can't do. It has no Ethernet hookup, so we can't watch movies on our computer on it, and it also has no wireless adapter so you also can't set up a network. It does have two video component HDMI ports and two video composite HDMI ports. Unfortunately, these are almost useless to me and I'd prefer to have some more capabilities.

We did save for a little while, and we looked at this TV for quite a long time while we were saving. It was selling for $1,500 for quite awhile and when we bought it, it had gone on sale for $1,350. If I could, I'd look a little longer and pay more attention to the specific features of the television before we bought.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews