Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,597,714 times

Advertisements

Tasco Space Station Telescope 114x500mm Black Reflector ST

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

Growing up as a child in a rural area in central Louisiana I would always look up at all the stars above with great wonder and excitement. When I was in the 5th grade my school teacher was very influential for me. At some point that year we began to study Astronomy in our Science book and it was a subject that I took an immediate interest in.

I had asked my mother to buy me a telescope that year for Christmas and she did so, buying me a Tasco brand telescope from the Sears toy catalog. I used that telescope for years every chance I would get. I remember hoping for the skies to clear up on cold winter evenings so I could go outside and set up my telescope to look up at the planets and the moon.

At that age I was not very good at locating a lot of objects in the night sky but I always enjoyed looking at planets like Venus and Saturn for hours every night and of course looking at the moon and all its craters and phases. As I began to grow up and take interest in other things I grew apart from my telescope and eventually gave it to my nephew for him to use as he was growing up looking at the same starry night as I would.

One day, as an adult, I decided that I wanted another telescope. So after doing some online research I came across the Tasco Space Station Telescope 114x500mm Reflector Telescope Model (49114500). I thought that this would be the perfect telescope for me to get back to doing some star gazing and I was right. The telescope came with three eyepieces (25mm, 10mm, and 4mm) along with 3x Barlow lens and a moon filter.

I really don't use the Barlow lens a lot because it just gives to much power to the telescope and it is hard to focus in on the objects in the lens. I use the Tasco telescope to look at all things in the night sky such as the moon, galaxies, nebulas, and planets. My son is only 15 months old right now but I can't wait until he gets older so he can come out on cold winters nights and gaze up at the stars with me like I did when I was a child. If you are looking for an introductory level telescope with out spending a lot of money the Tasco Space Station Telescope Model (49114500) would be the ideal scope for you. I give it a 4 star rating for the ease of use along with simple construction of the Tasco telescope.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews