U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 11:55 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,814,014 times

Advertisements

Holmes Compact Energy Efficient Heater

Rating: 2 out of 5
  • Currently 2.0/5.0

I used to live in a very old, drafty house - and it was cold! Just sitting in the living room watching TV, you would have to sit on the couch with blankets piled up on you - and the tip of your nose would still get cold! Because of that, we bought a Holmes Compact Energy Efficient space heater. The fact that it was energy efficient wasn't actually so important to me. I was tired of being so cold in my house and I would have burned as much electricity as I needed to in order to get warm. And I think it was actually the energy efficiency that made me dislike this heater as much as I did.

I found that this space heater simply did not heat up the room enough. It does have two different heat settings, and a setting in case you just want to circulate air, and not necessarily make the room hot. But even at the highest setting, I still found that this heater just did not do the job I had hoped it would.

This heater also has an auto shut-off feature that I really did not like. The feature is there as a safety precaution so that the heater does not become too hot and start on fire, or start something nearby it on fire. But I found that it shut itself way too early, and that the heater nor the room was anywhere close to warm before the heater already started cooling itself down again.

I did like that the heater was very light, so I could bring it into the bedroom when it was time to turn in for the night. My bedroom is somewhat smaller so it warmed up a bit more than my living room did. But I still didn't find it sufficiently hot enough. I was however, thankful for that safety shut-off feature while I was sleeping and not paying as careful attention to the heater, even if it still meant layering on a few more blankets. And the heater also has a built-in carrying case in the back of it to make it even easier to move around the house with you when you need to.

The other thing I really liked about this space heater was that the outer case didn't become extremely hot to the touch like other space heaters I've owned in the past have. You can turn it off and immediately pick it up without worrying about burning your hand. Although given the fact that this space heater really doesn't get anything hot, the fact that the plastic casing doesn't heat up shouldn't really be all that surprising.

I spent $38.99 on this space heater when I bought it new and I don't think it's worth half that. The next time I need to warm up a cold, drafty room, I'd definitely going to do a little more research into a space heater that will actually do the job it's supposed to.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews