Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 05:06 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,607,942 times

Advertisements

Oster Blender With Food Processor

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

We purchased this blender primarily to make green smoothies and spreads such as hummus. Because texture is an issue for a member of my family, it was important that the blender effectively created very smooth results.

The texture of the green smoothies was more coarse than I liked, even after multiple processing runs. This was particularly true with coarse greens such as kale or turnip greens. They typically remained fibrous even after blending at high speeds several times.

It did process smooth dressings and spreads effectively, however. Hummus, sour cream, and bean spreads turned out creamy and flavors were well-blended throughout. Fruit-only smoothie results were especially good and it does crush ice cubes nicely.

Occasionally, chunks of chopped veggies like onion or garlic would stick to the bottom beneath the blade. If I was lucky enough to find them before I'd dumped the batch, I just had to dig them out and re-blend. If I wasn't lucky, I ended up with a spread that was missing a flavor and had a big hunk of some vegetable hidden inside. Not so bad if it's just for home snacking, but it did give an embarrassing moment when I took a bowl of spread to a friend's party and someone got a big piece of raw garlic on her cracker.

Cleaning the pitcher could be somewhat challenging, especially after running thick or sticky batches and most certainly if I wasn't able to clean it immediately. Reaching beneath the blades took some effort and I usually had to soak it in warm water.

I did like the glass pitcher because it didn't retain scents like garlic or red pepper. The pitcher was sturdy and I didn't have a problem with cracking or chipping.

I eventually replaced this blender with an expensive, commercial quality blender that liquifies greens better. Except for the problem with greens and occasional difficulty cleaning, this blender worked very well for the price or $39.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews