Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 09:11 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,539,007 times

Advertisements

SnowJoe Ultra 622U1 Electric Snow Thrower

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

The SnowJoe Ultra 622U1 electric snow thrower is a good option for small residential snow removal jobs. I live in the Midwest, so we deal with a lot of snow fall, but I am responsible for a limited amount of snow removal. I typically clear a path of about ten yards from the back door to the garage, the front walkway which is approximately 20 combined yards and the area behind the garage, for a total of less than 50 yards worth of snow removal. The blower has been able to handle this and the only time I have seen issues is during massive snow falls of a foot or more at one time. In these cases, the thrower lets off a slight smell of burning and I let it rest for a few minutes before continuing removal.

This is an electric thrower with an instant start button that means no cranking or pulling. It cuts a width of 19 inches and claims to cut 11 inches deep, but more than a few inches of snow usually takes a few passes. The thrower has a 13 amp motor and snow is thrown only about three to five feet. This is a problem for many users, but since my walkways are narrow, it has not created a problem for me. The manual states it can clear up to 800 pounds of snow per minute, but that seems unlikely since deeper snow falls require a few passes before a single area is clear.

The thrower weighs less than 45 pounds, so it is relatively easy to move from one area to another. This is important for an electric thrower because you will find yourself moving and carrying more than usual in order to reach outdoor outlets. There thrower has an adjustable chute so you can direct snow away from your face or adjust it based on the direction of the wind.

This SnowJoe has a four blade rotor made of heavy grade steel, which was a problem for me early in our ownership. The bolts were not tightened properly and the blade cut through the plastic cover. It was an easy fix and the thrower's ability to operate was not affected. Aside from having to triple-check the bolts, the thrower is easy to put together and required only that I assemble the handle. The snow thrower is basically maintenance free and the fact that it is electric is a great benefit because there is no worry of needing to refill the gas tank during big storms. While this is not the greatest option on the market, it works well for my small home.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews