Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:58 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I came across this article, "How to Spot a Narcissist." Migt find it interesting. I had never personally known anyone who had healed.

BTW, I think our cat is a narcissist, thinking of nothing but himself...
Cool. I took the quiz.
I scored "lucky" 13.
The average person score is 12 to 15.
Celebrities tend to score 18.
Narcissists hit a minimum of 20.

It's just like the Myers-Briggs personality profile free on-line 72 question test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:47 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Can a narcissist be a martyr, too? I'm thinking of my mother-in-law. She wants the world to revolve around her but she does it in such a way that it will appear that she's the one catering to everyone else. I've been trying to out a label on her for years. I just can't figure her out.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Welcome to Narcissism 101

has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements

is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people requires excessive admiration

has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectationsis

interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

lacks empathy:is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of othersis

often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Last edited by virgode; 05-19-2012 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-19-2012, 07:37 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Let me give you my example:
A parent tries to mold their children into their own image to be a reflection of themselves, to make themselves look good. When that child rebels then there is hell to pay. Or if this person was a boss or a spouse whomever they are involved with must make them look good, very selfish type person! It has to be all be at him/her.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 PM

782 posts, read 1,086,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Narcissism is characterized by primal wounding.
Yes. And it starts with the trip down the birth canal.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Some new studies show that narcissism and sociopathy are characteristics inherent in people from birth, and the signs can be detected as young as two or three years old. Although this may be true, I have to agree with I'mcurious, based on observation, that it's caused by severe childhood trauma.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Can a narcissist be a martyr, too? I'm thinking of my mother-in-law. She wants the world to revolve around her but she does it in such a way that it will appear that she's the one catering to everyone else. I've been trying to out a label on her for years. I just can't figure her out.
This sounds like the manipulative side of narcissism. They can be highly manipulative, even to the point of being skilled con artists.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM

479 posts, read 835,419 times
Clinical narcissism and sociopathy are genetic traits, and differing expressions of the same spectrum. The brain literally processes and organizes information differently. One will notice memory issues that seem odd. Like not remembering having just said something. Gaps in past memories. A quick transformation from having just exploded in anger, then a quick recovery...as if nothing had happened at all.

I don't view either condition as being a disorder. I believe in both cases it's perfectly normal, and serves humanity in some way. However potentially disturbing and painful, for those who have stronger mammal vs. reptilian brain tendancies.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:32 AM

53 posts, read 186,452 times
Hi Crisan, your post did remind me a lot of some of the (few) Buddhist talks I listened to regarding being present in the moment and striving to be free of desires, especially petty ones. Have you heard of Ajahn Brahm? Maybe you would enjoy his talks:

http://youtu.be/qhydgIBdrB8

Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Narcissism - Is it a learned behavior? What about impatience - a learned behavior? What about unhappiness - a learned behavior?

I grew up seeing my own guardians chasing after their wants when it came to me:
They wanted me to behave.
They wanted me to be independent.
They wanted me to stop crying.
They wanted me to stop wanting something.

They chased after their wants when it came to meeting our needs:
They wanted to bring home money but wanted more.
They wanted dinner but didn't want to have to do the work.
They wanted a clean house but didn't enjoy housekeeping.
They wanted us to have clothes but wanted us to be happy with Walmart clothes because they couldn't afford designer clothes. Otherwise, they would buy them for us.

And because they didn't know when these wants would happen, they were impatient, unhappy and selfish. But they never knew they were. They believed that having what they wanted would make them happy. But, it was waiting for the wants that made them unhappy. Nobody likes to wait.

I only realized much later that they modeled these undesirable behaviors to me because I was doing the same thing to my daughter. I wanted the exact same things and I was not enjoying my time with her because what I wanted was not happening.

"The time it takes to reach our wants is no less desirable than the time after we reach our wants." Some wants never happen like reliving the past.

So I have decided not to teach my daughter to wait for her wants because the time she is living now is just as valuable. The only way to "teach" her this is by not waiting for my wants either and enjoying right now.
What behavior you are displaying is actually narcisstic, and can teach your daughter that she must stop at nothing to get what she wants, instead of virtues such as patience, and working toward something while being nice to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology