U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 PM

292 posts, read 543,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What I'm saying is that it might impress a woman that doesn't have anything going on, but for a lady with a life (friends, family, an education, a career, hobbies, etc) it's not enough to compensate for a guy that has problems (emotional, psychologically, or otherwise).
Agreed. However, most women I do happen to meet are drawn much more to guys who do have other (emotional, psychologically) problems than to normal guys.

Last edited by TimelessClassic; 02-01-2011 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 PM

199 posts, read 412,962 times
Because contrary to most countries, in the US self esteem is based on how much expensive wardrobe people can wear. In other countries people are not anywhere as materialistic.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 PM

771 posts, read 828,875 times
hollywood is based here

Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 PM

292 posts, read 543,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasWritten View Post
Because contrary to most countries, in the US self esteem is based on how much expensive wardrobe people can wear. In other countries people are not anywhere as materialistic.
Definitely true. It's a seemingly never-ending pursuit of the Almighty dollar here... :-)

Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM

199 posts, read 412,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessClassic View Post
Definitely true. It's a seemingly never-ending pursuit of the Almighty dollar here... :-)
Yea notice how its always the women with the gucci and prada purses with gucci shades on who always think they are the most beautiful woman alive.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 PM

3,902 posts, read 4,413,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
I find it fascinating that men are shamed for wanting a woman who is “out of their league,” but women are encouraged to never settle and to keep holding out for men who have more options then they do! Women are given a pass for behavior that is discouraged in men.
Weve created entitled princesses in this country..We spoil women and say theyre especial for having breasts and vagina even if they bring nothing else to the table

Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 PM

3,055 posts, read 3,132,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Honest question, I don't know if women in other countries have the same problem but I have never dated or met a woman in this country who did not suffer from low self esteem, regardless of social status, family upbringing, accomplishments, etc

I have a coworker who is a pretty attractive girl in her early 20's, we went to the Iowa State Fair one night and she told me that she was very self conscious about her face(she has some very small acne scars) and her height (she is about 6'1"). She has no boyfriend and always complains about not being able to find one

I have never had a girlfriend who did not have low self esteem or was happy with herself, what the hell is wrong with our women??

You never met my wife

Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,261,669 times
I'm an American woman and I have very high self-esteem. I just do, I wouldn't change a thing about me. I like who I am, I'm comfortable with how I look, I'm aware of my intelligence, etc. I have never had any plastic surgery and I don't wear a ton of make-up.

I was also raised by a tough love Latina mother, maybe that has something to do with it?

In my teen years, I was very insecure. By the time I was 20, I just felt glad to be me. Comfortable, the way we should be.

I think many people are threatened by a woman with high self-esteem. I can tell by people's body language that I intimidate the people that are around my age in school. I can tone down my personality, but then I wouldn't be myself and no one should go through life faking it.

In work settings I always have to tone it down, I'm more friendly with the females I work with than the males, and even wear no make-up because many people see high self-esteem as arrogance.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,263,250 times
Complaining about the opposite sex reflects poorly on you.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,261,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasWritten View Post
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology