Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Well, here is one woman's (born in Germany, lives in California) opinion....

Women everywhere have bouts of low self esteem. Some have low self esteem all the time, some rarely...but all women (and men for that matter) have their moments. I have noticed that a lot of it depends on the friends the women keep... my girlfriends are AMAZING. Supportive, no drama ( weird, I know) and always there when you need a shoulder to cry on. I've also noticed that women who don't have that 'womanly' support system tend to put a lot more of their self esteem worth on who they're dating, or if they come out ahead in competition with their other women 'friends'. Who's prettier, who gets the most men, who makes the most money etc etc.

As for it being an American phenomenon, not so much. I'd have to say that women around the world tend to have the same self esteem issues. Except Brazilian women. They make me want to be a more confident woman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM

240 posts, read 559,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
So, all people are the same? No, sorry, they're not. We're not mass-produced robots. Furthermore, all people are not the same for all people, and that in no way is an indication of snobbery. People are not interchangeable. You cannot simply swap out Braunwyn's husband (for example) for some random guy, who is "healthy and can do some sort of work" because "nobody is better than the other", and expect her to not care.

Exactly! I don't know how anybody could say ''we are all the same.'' That is a generalization.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:39 PM

240 posts, read 559,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, here is one woman's (born in Germany, lives in California) opinion....

Women everywhere have bouts of low self esteem. Some have low self esteem all the time, some rarely...but all women (and men for that matter) have their moments. I have noticed that a lot of it depends on the friends the women keep... my girlfriends are AMAZING. Supportive, no drama ( weird, I know) and always there when you need a shoulder to cry on. I've also noticed that women who don't have that 'womanly' support system tend to put a lot more of their self esteem worth on who they're dating, or if they come out ahead in competition with their other women 'friends'. Who's prettier, who gets the most men, who makes the most money etc etc.

As for it being an American phenomenon, not so much. I'd have to say that women around the world tend to have the same self esteem issues. Except Brazilian women. They make me want to be a more confident woman

Good point! Upbringing also has a lot to do with it.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Honest question, I don't know if women in other countries have the same problem but I have never dated or met a woman in this country who did not suffer from low self esteem, regardless of social status, family upbringing, accomplishments, etc

I have a coworker who is a pretty attractive girl in her early 20's, we went to the Iowa State Fair one night and she told me that she was very self conscious about her face(she has some very small acne scars) and her height (she is about 6'1"). She has no boyfriend and always complains about not being able to find one

I have never had a girlfriend who did not have low self esteem or was happy with herself, what the hell is wrong with our women??
I know many women who have a healthy self-image. Many. But there are a lot who don't, yes.

I dunno. Could it have anything to do with how society--especially today's and particularly the 30 and under segment--devalues women who are over a certain weight, over a certain age, have dated too many men, haven't dated enough men, who have children, who don't look like super models, and/or under a certain income level?

The message is, no matter what you do or don't do, you're not going to measure up.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:13 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
Exactly! I don't know how anybody could say ''we are all the same.'' That is a generalization.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.

And all women are created equal also.

You're pretty much interchangeable. There is no need to have one relationship in your life, for the rest of your life. Because there's plenty of people who are just as good as whoever you've got.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:44 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
While a chilling statement such as "all women are interchangeable" isn't surprising from you, the Declaration of Independence refers to people being equal under the law. That doesn't mean that all people are the same. Some people are more attractive or wealthier or more talented or more intelligent or taller or fatter or myriad other qualities that set them apart from others.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
All people are the same. One man is very much like another. He puts his pants on the same way other guys do. People are NOT all that special, really. Our DNA isn't really all that different from one another--or from an ape, for that matter.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I know many women who have a healthy self-image. Many. But there are a lot who don't, yes.

I dunno. Could it have anything to do with how society--especially today's and particularly the 30 and under segment--devalues women who are over a certain weight, over a certain age, have dated too many men, haven't dated enough men, who have children, who don't look like super models, and/or under a certain income level?

The message is, no matter what you do or don't do, you're not going to measure up.
Those are valid points, but shouldn't women stand up to it?

Isn't true confidence having good self-worth in the midst of adversity? The women's magazines such as Cosmo, Marie Claire, etc. still get sales, and often perpetuate the attitudes that contribute to low self-esteem. As there are a large section of women who feel aggrieved at the common attitudes, then shouldn't women simply not buy such media?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Those are valid points, but shouldn't women stand up to it?

Isn't true confidence having good self-worth in the midst of adversity? The women's magazines such as Cosmo, Marie Claire, etc. still get sales, and often perpetuate the attitudes that contribute to low self-esteem. As there are a large section of women who feel aggrieved at the common attitudes, then shouldn't women simply not buy such media?
Absolutely. But the effects of it--ageism and such--have a direct impact on lives; not being able to get certain jobs because you're too old, not pretty enough, etc. That's difficult to just overcome by self esteem alone because it's all relative, I think.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:18 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
I think the issue is to challenge the attitudes, which are put forward by and large by the media. To use examples, racism was lessened greatly by the challenging of attitudes, as was sexism and homophobia now.

I heard Tyra Banks quit her show to start a charity aimed at female bodily self-acceptance, and this is something that women in contemporary US society need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology