Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:24 PM

19,595 posts, read 20,039,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Whatever happened to all the self-esteem boosting style of education during the 90s, along with the motivational speakers etc. when it became trendy? By now, the kids of the 90s are the young adults many people are alluding to.
Ha those are probably the same people who got brainwashed into becoming drug addicts from the D.A.R.E. programs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 PM

292 posts, read 633,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
If you hang around here long enough you'll find a running theme in that women are like this or that with caveats of outliers.
You mean hanging around here will have a negative effect on me? Lol.

Last edited by TimelessClassic; 02-03-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 02:15 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Honest question, I don't know if women in other countries have the same problem but I have never dated or met a woman in this country who did not suffer from low self esteem, regardless of social status, family upbringing, accomplishments, etc

I have a coworker who is a pretty attractive girl in her early 20's, we went to the Iowa State Fair one night and she told me that she was very self conscious about her face(she has some very small acne scars) and her height (she is about 6'1"). She has no boyfriend and always complains about not being able to find one

I have never had a girlfriend who did not have low self esteem or was happy with herself, what the hell is wrong with our women??
Hang out on the internet. Most have WAY too much.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:20 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,086,318 times
Default Why American women have such low self esteem?

Quote:
It is unbelievable how many people here live in DENIAL! I have never met any women in any setting, business, girlfriends, friends who did not have low self esteem, it is EPIDEMIC!

I imagine it would be worse if you were overweight, unnatractive, etc

"Low self-esteem among girls and young women has reached a crisis level," said Dr. Ann Kearney-Cooke, Ph.D., a psychologist and self-esteem expert who collaborated on Real Girls, Real Pressure. "The new report from Dove confirms the importance of healthy self-esteem and the dangerous consequences that can arise when hang-ups about looks, academics and popularity erode a girl's sense of self-worth and self-acceptance""
Repubocrat, you need to get out of the house more often... You need to meet more women than the few you presently associate with before you can make such assumptions...

Old 06-23-2011, 02:04 PM

951 posts, read 1,806,585 times
Default Hypergamy is the Answer to the Question

Posted by Chris245
he makes a good point. You really seem like a grouchy person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Eh, only with select men on this forum.
No doubt with anyone who introduces a dose of reality to the comments.

As to the OP's comment, when hypergamy (women insisting on "marrying up") is very common, most feel inadequate to the task at hand since there are usually 6 competitors for every prospect. This results in low self esteem but only with respect to a thin slice of men. They can treat anyone else who doesn't meet their exacting standards with plenty of esteem building distain.

When men are only offered the option of marrying down, they usually just opt out. No loss of self esteem over the long run since this usually leads to a happy and successful life, with low stress. Initially it can hurt, especially if one works hard to make oneself desirable, but this doesn't last and never becomes a psychological problem like it often does for woomen.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:30 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,636,888 times
I think it's because some men (not all) are always judging a girl based on her looks and if some tard says she's ugly, she'll get really upset and believe them. It's also probably because that some people who have never been in relationships feel like they're not attractive enough, even if they're told they're attractive.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:04 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,076,877 times
Quote:
Honest question, I don't know if women in other countries have the same problem but I have never dated or met a woman in this country who did not suffer from low self esteem, regardless of social status, family upbringing, accomplishments, etc

I have a coworker who is a pretty attractive girl in her early 20's, we went to the Iowa State Fair one night and she told me that she was very self conscious about her face(she has some very small acne scars) and her height (she is about 6'1"). She has no boyfriend and always complains about not being able to find one

I have never had a girlfriend who did not have low self esteem or was happy with herself, what the hell is wrong with our women??

Where are you finding these women at? None of my friends have low self esteem..my girls dont, my sisters dont..Wow...you must have low self esteem to be going after women who have low self esteem..

Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,331,702 times
Quote:

because much of the so-called "self-help industry" not only failed, but backfired- people have been taught neither themselves nor their lives are acceptable as they are, that one cannot afford to be satisfied with anything, and, to top it off, the notion that one should adhere to other people's standards rather than one's own.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:18 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,732,914 times
Quote:

IMO, the opposite is true...many (not all) American women have *too much* self-esteem (i.e., arrogance, hubris, narcissism, etc.), not too little.

And I'm an American guy...

ETA: the statement above is definitely true here in Washington, D.C. It admittedly may not be as applicable, for American gals in places like the South, Mid-West, etc., just to be fair and give those regions the benefit of the doubt...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 06-23-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 03:23 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,594,775 times
It's amusing to hear from guys who apparently hate women. They try to hide it, but it really comes through in their comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology