U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,860,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Have you ever dealt with people who have a wanna-be prosecutor attorney type personality who are trying to "catch you" in a lie? Have you ever met those types of people? What is their deal? What is their problem? What do you think of such people? You can find this person anywhere from salespersons, to co-workers, to church friends, to family, to neighbors, to counselors, etc. One their famous snide platitudes is "But you said this." "But you said that." "But didn't you just say" as if they catch you lying to them they will throw you in a vat of hot lava. Ughhhh.
Come now, Artsy, you've been reading these boards too long to ask such an obvious question. C-D is infested with people like that. My ignore list gets longer by the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,830,557 times
They do annoy me. I met a girl once and she was constantly giving me crap because I'm social and talk to women when I'm out and about, whether it be at the store ore at a club. Luckily I learned what was posted here a long time ago and don't put up with it anymore. It's like she was constantly pushing to get you walking on eggshells. I think her mom emotionally abused her dad or something to get him to kowtow to her every whim and that's how she grew up to treat men.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:23 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,350,122 times
I've seen far more emotionally abusive women than men. Not that I'm excusing wife-beaters or rapists those people horrible too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
They do annoy me. I met a girl once and she was constantly giving me crap because I'm social and talk to women when I'm out and about, whether it be at the store ore at a club. Luckily I learned what was posted here a long time ago and don't put up with it anymore. It's like she was constantly pushing to get you walking on eggshells. I think her mom emotionally abused her dad or something to get him to kowtow to her every whim and that's how she grew up to treat men.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:08 PM

9,177 posts, read 16,549,469 times
I can't remember ever meeting anyone like that. Maybe it's because I don't make up stories that I must remember.

I've caught others in lies, not because I try to but simply because I usually remember what's said to me.

I was always catching my late wife in one little lie or another. It was amusing when it happened but embarrassing to her. She had much more "experience" in the game of love than I did, and that bothered her a little. (Didn't bother me.) So she'd tell me about so-and-so, who was just a friend and they'd never been sexually involved, then a year or two later she'd have an "oops moment" and mention the sex with him. I'd say, "HUH? But you said...." And we'd have a good laugh.

I don't really get what you're saying. If you tell me today that your cat is black, and tomorrow you say your cat is white, don't you expect to be questioned about it? Is it now a bad thing if I pay attention to what you say and remember it? *rolls eyes*

Old 08-31-2010, 01:22 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,240,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Have you ever dealt with people who have a wanna-be prosecutor attorney type personality who are trying to "catch you" in a lie? Have you ever met those types of people? What is their deal? What is their problem? What do you think of such people? You can find this person anywhere from salespersons, to co-workers, to church friends, to family, to neighbors, to counselors, etc. One their famous snide platitudes is "But you said this." "But you said that." "But didn't you just say" as if they catch you lying to them they will throw you in a vat of hot lava. Ughhhh.
I've dealt with people like this. In my experience they're either really distrustful of people to begin with and are just looking for opportunities to prove they're right. Or they actually enjoy being able to catch people in a lie. But I think it's important to be somewhat of a wanna-be prosecutor, just as long as you know when not to be. For example, suppose you're shopping for something and the salesperson says something that you know is a lie. Then of course you're going to call them out on it. But it makes perfect sense in that context because you know the salesperson isn't looking out for your best interests and is more likely looking to take advantage of your mistakes. But in the context of everyday relationships between friends or someone you're dating, then it's reasonable to expect the other person to give you the benefit of the doubt until you've done something to prove you're not trustworthy.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:36 PM

29,633 posts, read 31,965,462 times
I don't know about catching me in a lie or anything but a couple of times I have met new people who, instead of having a convo with me, seem to grill me prosecution style. They ask pointed questions, leading question, half assed questions, and I feel manipulated. Like they WANT me to say something specific so they can pounce on it in some way or another. Or maybe try to sell me something I didn't know I needed..lol. It's a real turnoff and I usually walk away.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:12 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,280,985 times
To me, it'simply being anal. Pedantic/anal people I don't like to hang about with, since I don't get much joy from being with them.

I think it's anal since they're sticklers and like form to much, which to me makes no sense. In my mind, human experience is about flexibility and few if any firm things, and about rules of thumb and not absolutes.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 AM

25,165 posts, read 47,350,122 times
Great comments. You guys are amazing. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
To me, it'simply being anal. Pedantic/anal people I don't like to hang about with, since I don't get much joy from being with them.

I think it's anal since they're sticklers and like form to much, which to me makes no sense. In my mind, human experience is about flexibility and few if any firm things, and about rules of thumb and not absolutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know about catching me in a lie or anything but a couple of times I have met new people who, instead of having a convo with me, seem to grill me prosecution style. They ask pointed questions, leading question, half assed questions, and I feel manipulated. Like they WANT me to say something specific so they can pounce on it in some way or another. Or maybe try to sell me something I didn't know I needed..lol. It's a real turnoff and I usually walk away.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:04 AM

8,821 posts, read 9,640,002 times
They don't bother me, I can be an impeccable liar when need be, so they come off to me as amateurish sleuths. But I never lie. Lying is the defence of the weak.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 AM

93 posts, read 143,242 times
I have experienced people grilling and trying to grill me in the guise of "getting to know you", or "trying to be friends". But you can see they're gathering and storing information. I think it's rude disrespectful of others' boundaries. I know I certainly don't want to make someone tell me personal information about themselves they're not comfortable sharing, so why would I tolerate someone trying to do that to me. In the end I have found the best way to deal with them is to blank them completely, you can't fix them, it's not your responsibility to help them, and they'll only try to drag you into something unpleasant. It's probably something from their past haunting them that causes them to act this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or