U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 AM
 
1,860 posts, read 2,626,492 times
Reputation: 1348

Advertisements

One can either make mental notes, build a pattern, and realize the person in question is a liar.

Or, one can sometimes "surprise" the "liar" by unexpectedly calling him/her out on his/her lie. I did that once rather abruptly to a friend early last year. He danced a bit and I inwardly laughed.

We were driving after lunch and he was speaking about his brother-in-law's wife. The woman is from a background stereotyped for people who are greedy, devious, clever, dishonest, and basically prone to being crooks. He was saying the woman had some of those attributes.

I asked him, "in what way?"

He said, "I don't know. I don't know her."

I raised my voice, "You don't know her? You have been married for 11 years and your brother-in-law married her 8 years ago. You socialize very often in each others' houses. And you don't know her?"

(I knew right there his "I don't know her" comment was a lie.)

So he said, with his own voice a little louder now that I caught him in his lying: "OK man. When she wants something she gets it."

That was a very half-assed admission that the woman was indeed untrustworthy as per the stereotype of her background, but it was odd he admitted that AFTER I called him out on his "I don't know her well" BS.

Frankly, it was fun to see him shake a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Say-Town! Texas
968 posts, read 1,209,742 times
Reputation: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
One can either make mental notes, build a pattern, and realize the person in question is a liar.

Or, one can sometimes "surprise" the "liar" by unexpectedly calling him/her out on his/her lie. I did that once rather abruptly to a friend early last year. He danced a bit and I inwardly laughed.

We were driving after lunch and he was speaking about his brother-in-law's wife. The woman is from a background stereotyped for people who are greedy, devious, clever, dishonest, and basically prone to being crooks. He was saying the woman had some of those attributes.

I asked him, "in what way?"

He said, "I don't know. I don't know her."

I raised my voice, "You don't know her? You have been married for 11 years and your brother-in-law married her 8 years ago. You socialize very often in each others' houses. And you don't know her?"

(I knew right there his "I don't know her" comment was a lie.)

So he said, with his own voice a little louder now that I caught him in his lying: "OK man. When she wants something she gets it."

That was a very half-assed admission that the woman was indeed untrustworthy as per the stereotype of her background, but it was odd he admitted that AFTER I called him out on his "I don't know her well" BS.

Frankly, it was fun to see him shake a bit.
i would chalk that up to being polite and realizing he shouldn't be bad mouthing family, so he tried to shut up, but you drudged it on so instead of actually listing what a crappy person she is, he just shirked it off.

i wouldn't call someones opinion of another person a lie if they can't answer "in what ways" its their opinion....



I'm dating a guy who keeps trying to catch me in a lie. he saw a reciept from a bar i went to, noted the date and time and then "broke it off" for me not telling him i went to a bar. then he called me back saying he shouldn't have jumped to conclusions and hes sorry.

so i did it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
93 posts, read 93,049 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
One can either make mental notes, build a pattern, and realize the person in question is a liar.

Or, one can sometimes "surprise" the "liar" by unexpectedly calling him/her out on his/her lie. I did that once rather abruptly to a friend early last year. He danced a bit and I inwardly laughed.

We were driving after lunch and he was speaking about his brother-in-law's wife. The woman is from a background stereotyped for people who are greedy, devious, clever, dishonest, and basically prone to being crooks. He was saying the woman had some of those attributes.

I asked him, "in what way?"

He said, "I don't know. I don't know her."

I raised my voice, "You don't know her? You have been married for 11 years and your brother-in-law married her 8 years ago. You socialize very often in each others' houses. And you don't know her?"

(I knew right there his "I don't know her" comment was a lie.)

So he said, with his own voice a little louder now that I caught him in his lying: "OK man. When she wants something she gets it."

That was a very half-assed admission that the woman was indeed untrustworthy as per the stereotype of her background, but it was odd he admitted that AFTER I called him out on his "I don't know her well" BS.

Frankly, it was fun to see him shake a bit.
You have completely missed the point of this thread. I agree with Orincarnia's observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Emerald Coast, FL
4,491 posts, read 3,976,434 times
Reputation: 6962
If someone is constantly questioning your honesty and looking for lies and inconsistencies, they are probably damaged.

Such people have probably been hurt and have not learned to trust again. Some may simply be negative, distrustful people for whom the glass is always half empty, and project their sour attitude and suspicions on everyone else. In either case, they are people to avoid, unless you're a seeing them professionally as their psychotherapist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2010, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,843 posts, read 54,814,416 times
Reputation: 22810
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
If you tell me today that your cat is black, and tomorrow you say your cat is white, don't you expect to be questioned about it? Is it now a bad thing if I pay attention to what you say and remember it? *rolls eyes*
Yeah, I can see it if there is already a reason for it. While opinions may change (as it was discussed above), facts do not. The color of the cat may not be important, but it makes you wonder what else you're told is a lie!

If you choose to lie, you must have a pretty darn good memory!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2010, 06:25 PM
 
11,000 posts, read 7,194,308 times
Reputation: 8257
Yeah, sometimes a perfect stranger will ask a million questions and then when they meet your friends/family they ask them the same questions you already answered a million times before. It doesn't speak well of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2010, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Ohio
751 posts, read 919,464 times
Reputation: 592
I'll never be caught in a lie cause I never tell a lie.When my two sons were little I never lied to them about whether or not there was a Santa,Easter Wabbit etc. I would just let them figure those things out for themselves.One lie just leads to another and another.I've been told I'm way to honest.I see nothing wrong with being honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2010, 07:15 PM
 
30,855 posts, read 19,139,236 times
Reputation: 15077
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Have you ever dealt with people who have a wanna-be prosecutor attorney type personality who are trying to "catch you" in a lie? Have you ever met those types of people? What is their deal? What is their problem? What do you think of such people? You can find this person anywhere from salespersons, to co-workers, to church friends, to family, to neighbors, to counselors, etc. One their famous snide platitudes is "But you said this." "But you said that." "But didn't you just say" as if they catch you lying to them they will throw you in a vat of hot lava. Ughhhh.
Tell them you have alzheimers. Then every few minutes repeat everything you just said or introduce yourself to them. That should get rid of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2010, 07:18 PM
 
30,855 posts, read 19,139,236 times
Reputation: 15077
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yeah, I can see it if there is already a reason for it. While opinions may change (as it was discussed above), facts do not. The color of the cat may not be important, but it makes you wonder what else you're told is a lie!

If you choose to lie, you must have a pretty darn good memory!
You guys actually listen to other people prattle on about their cats? I'm too busy staring at their boobs to even remember their name.....what was I talking about again? Where am I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,843 posts, read 54,814,416 times
Reputation: 22810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You guys actually listen to other people prattle on about their cats?
MG, I can be accused of many things, but listening to cat stories ain't one of them! It just happened to be an example given above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top