Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:37 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times

Advertisements

Often wondered about this. Then a few weeks ago, I got a tearful call from a guy I've known for 62 years. We were "Pete and Repeat" back in the day. But this recent night he was talking suicide. He explained that his depression alternated with periods of mania.

He was always moody. He could be so enthused about some project/activity we planned to undertake the next day, but the next day "blah," no interest much less enthusiasm whatsoever. His mom was the same way.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are data to correlate a tendency toward moodiness with bi-polar. Interesting article below but doesn't really answer the question, unless I missed something.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-or-just-moody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 11:22 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
That's an interesting thought. Maybe labile mood is a precursor to a diagnosis and some unknown biological event triggers the illness.

Or perhaps it's on a spectrum?

This article discusses late onset Bipolar: Bipolar Disorder in Seniors - Bipolar Disorder Center - EverydayHealth.com

Old 02-04-2017, 11:46 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Often wondered about this. Then a few weeks ago, I got a tearful call from a guy I've known for 62 years. We were "Pete and Repeat" back in the day. But this recent night he was talking suicide. He explained that his depression alternated with periods of mania.

He was always moody. He could be so enthused about some project/activity we planned to undertake the next day, but the next day "blah," no interest much less enthusiasm whatsoever. His mom was the same way.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are data to correlate a tendency toward moodiness with bi-polar. Interesting article below but doesn't really answer the question, unless I missed something.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-or-just-moody
No, moodiness doesn't "turn into" Bi-Polar. It can be a symptom of it that goes unrecognized, and undiagnosed for awhile, though. Not all merely moody people are Bi-Polar.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:38 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Yes I think moodiness is a symptom not a cause of bipolar ( more extreme than normal moods).

Old 02-06-2017, 11:50 AM

375 posts, read 296,943 times
Well, moodiness certainly does not CAUSE Bipolar, which is usually due to a genetic pre-disposition. Which is a fancy way of saying that you're usually born with it. Although, fairly recently those people who work with combat veterans with PTSD have found that severe stressor experiences, such as those incurred in combat, can cause the victim to acquire severe mood swings that almost exactly mimic those of a legit Bipolar sufferer.

But make no mistake: just being moody is not the samen by a long shot, as is a clinically diagnosed case of Bipolar. Which used to be called manic-depression. Moody people usually go from being normal or maybe slightly agitated to depressed. They almost never get the manic highs, or "episodes" as they shrinks call them, as a BP person does. During these manic episodes a person can go weeks with almost zero sleep, and get in real trouble because of their often crazy actions. It's a far stretch from somebody just saying, "Man I feel good today; I have a lot of energy!"

For this reason I think BP is over-diagnosed in the US. With the nation's obsession with medication and all those commercials pushing the drugs a lot of people almost seem to WANT to be dx'd with something so they can blame their troubles on that and then get some meds. B

As far as your friend? I cannot say. His telling you about his hyper manic episodes does fit the BP bill. But at the same time, I tend to think that if he was really clinically BP that you would have known it by now, given your long history together. BP is usually detected in the late teen or early adulthood. A person who makes it to middle age and is bipolar but has never been dx'd for it is a rare case.

And yes there are gradations, or levels of BP. Most of those grades have to do with intensity of the mood swings and the duration of them. SO you have: Bipolar I; Bipolar II; Cyclothymia. The latter being the fastest-cycling of the three, and with no psychosis during the Manic stages like they often have in BP I and II.

There's a ton of meds out there for BP. Used to be that they always prescribed Lithium. That was the first one, way back in the 60s. A lot of meds are used "off label" to manage BP. Like for example, drugs that were originally designed to treat seizures, like Depakote. So the good news is that a person with true BP can almost always manage their disease with meds and live happy and very highly functional lives. Thing is though, BP's are absolutely notorious for going off their meds! They often crave those "free highs" from their manic stages.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:55 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I agree - his moodiness was probably a symptom that hadn't been diagnosed yet. What happened to your friend? Did he get help?

Old 02-09-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I agree - his moodiness was probably a symptom that hadn't been diagnosed yet. What happened to your friend? Did he get help?

He's afraid that the authorities would institutionalize him and also fears psychotropic medication. In fact, he has never taken any prescribed medication. At age 73, with the exception of recent dental problems, he has always enjoyed the physical health of a much younger person. Parents died at 92 and mid-80s respectively despite long histories of cigarette smoking. Great genes at play there, I reckon.

He seems to perk up after his phone calls to me which occur every few weeks. I'm not qualified to help anyone, but I guess that's the only "therapy" he'll seek.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:51 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
He's afraid that the authorities would institutionalize him and also fears psychotropic medication. In fact, he has never taken any prescribed medication. At age 73, with the exception of recent dental problems, he has always enjoyed the physical health of a much younger person. Parents died at 92 and mid-80s respectively despite long histories of cigarette smoking. Great genes at play there, I reckon.

He seems to perk up after his phone calls to me which occur every few weeks. I'm not qualified to help anyone, but I guess that's the only "therapy" he'll seek.
I'd say his worry is justified. There is a high rate with those who are bp2 that go off meds. It's often not because they miss the manic highs, but the drugs may or may not work right, and this never gets checked. One should have a complete *physical* before, including the ability of the body to actually absorb medication. If its not right, the medication will either work wrong or not work at all. In my case, surgery I TOLD the doctor about means I randomly absorb medication, sometimes all at once, sometimes not at all. His only reaction was to take more. I chose to take myself off them completely. The interesting thing was, as I got the dosage down to very little, they kept saying I was doing very well and were happy. Not so happy when I explained I was down to a tiny dose I was ready to drop.

For someone 73, I would demand a full physical with all the blood tests you can do. And the results should be fully shared with the patient to determine if he chooses to or not. Likely he's already developed 'coping skills' which would be better to modify and sharpen.

All these medications have drastic effects on other parts of the body and yet they are given out like candy, and if they don't seem to be working the answer is take more, not less. But if you were functional before and now you aren't and have lost all joy in life, but your so called 'doctor' can't hear you you have every right to take your life in your hands and withdraw from them and cease to be a zombie.

And a full screening of the physical health of each patient, including tests to see how well they absorb meds, and the option to say no should be a Right before any should take pills. They should also recieve psychatric care to isolate the problems and if drugs are needed, pinpoint them. If these things are not offered, then the patient is under no requirement to cooperate.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:04 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
I got a tearful call from a guy I've known for 62 years. We were "Pete and Repeat" back in the day. But this recent night he was talking suicide. He explained that his depression alternated with periods of mania.... Anyway, I was wondering if there are data to correlate a tendency toward moodiness with bi-polar.
There is Bipolar I Disorder and Bipolar II Disorder. Bipolar II is much less severe. Up through the DSM-IV, Bipolar Disorder was considered a "mood disorder" (as opposed to say, schizophrenia, which is a thought disorder). And there is a genetic component. Hope that your friend is seeing a therapist.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
There is Bipolar I Disorder and Bipolar II Disorder. Bipolar II is much less severe. Up through the DSM-IV, Bipolar Disorder was considered a "mood disorder" (as opposed to say, schizophrenia, which is a thought disorder). And there is a genetic component. Hope that your friend is seeing a therapist.
I recall the listings we relied upon to adjudicate Fed. disability claims contained "manic-depressive disorder." This was quite a while ago. Anyway, my friend rarely goes to a MD and is afraid of being "committed" if he were to visit any kind of mental health professional. He has developed unwarranted fears in old age and has even become slightly agoraphobic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology