U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 02:53 AM

2,058 posts, read 2,805,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Honestly I've never watched a full episode of Sex and the City, because it seemed highly boring and pathetic to me, though most people view it as "pioneering" and "cutting edge" which says a lot about our society. I saw a bunch of women talking about how independent they were while obsessing over men and their age. I don't think that's very empowering.
Wow, I really agree wth you!

And I was going to send you an apology DM... now it just seems like I'm only sorry because I agree with you. :P

Anyways,
This is an interesting topic. Putting attractiveness aside, I really don't know..hmm..

I guess maybe it's easier to feel sorry for a woman? But that's not really the question. ..Is it easier to hate men than women?

I don't know because I almost always like men's personalities more than women's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 11:26 PM

9,163 posts, read 16,510,896 times
"Hate" is a pretty strong verb. If I've ever "hated" anyone in my 65 years it was a man, but only one man. He was in a position of power (over me) and used it, costing me a small fortune (large to me). If more men are in positions of power than are women, as I suspect, then probably more men are hated.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:39 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
As a woman, I have to say that I've generally had stronger, more long-lasting true friendships with men (and I'm talking real, platonic friendships, none of this FWB/f*ckbuddy garbage or even pining, unrequited love type "friendships") than I have with women. In friendship situations, jealousy and pettiness are more likely to crop up between female/female friendships than they are in male/female ones.

Easy to hate? Anybody who screws you over could be easy to hate, IMO, regardless of gender. But I don't see that it's so much gender-based for most people as it is situational. In general, I don't have strong feelings of hatred for anybody except those who have caused suffering to my loved ones. And in those cases, gender has nothing to do with it, their specific actions do.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:48 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,191,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you believe people - both males and females - are quicker to hate/form negative opinions about men as opposed to women? Leaving mysogny and sexism out of it, ....
This doesn't make sense. Leaving the hatred of women out of it, is it easier to hate men?

Old 10-16-2010, 07:51 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,326,333 times
Attractive women will get more passes in life on just about everything compared to the average man. Attractive women are more likely to get a promotion or a good paying job, get out of speeding tickets, get help when their car is broke down....stuff like that. It's not that it's necessarily easier to hate men...it's just that women are catered to more overall in our society. It all ties in with the princess syndrome/mentality. The show Sex and City for example basically taught women that what they want is all that matters and the show put men down all the time...making them out to blubbering idiots that are just around for when it's convenient for the woman.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,860,109 times
Of course it is.

Western society is about blaming the male gender instead of praising them for their better qualities.

As far as there being more male murders, you have to understand that men have been programmed to be fighters, warriors and protectors, naturally they will be more violent than women.

The whole media is geared towards conditioning people, particularly women to hate men and you wonder why men do not want to commit or get married anymore.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:42 AM

25,084 posts, read 13,910,330 times
I don't think hatred is greater for either gender. Hatred is a strong emotion equally available to any soul willing to drink from such a bitter cup.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:19 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,272,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you believe people - both males and females - are quicker to hate/form negative opinions about men as opposed to women? Leaving mysogny and sexism out of it, it seems if a man does something wrong people are quick to say what a ******** he is, while if it's a woman half the time it's the other persons fault (male or female).

Maybe there's a reason behind that. When women murder, it SEEMS that it's because of domestic abuse, mental problems etc - rarely for purely selfish and greedy reasons. Or is that just how the case is portrayed?

Does society give the benefit of the doubt to women more often than men?

I actually think not really all that much. Think in the past of Witch-trials etc...Some women are also absolutely horrid to other women in ways men can scarcely dream of. Yet, especially if it's an attractive woman (maybe this mainly applies to attractive women), men especially will put up with almost anything from her.
It's human nature in a way.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:36 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,487,329 times
I kind of wonder if maybe the reason women commit less murder is because they're just better at hiding the evidence. For example, women who kill tend to be sneakier and poison and such, while men are more likely to get out a gun.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:14 PM

25,316 posts, read 24,133,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
This doesn't make sense. Leaving the hatred of women out of it, is it easier to hate men?
Exactly. +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or