U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2010, 11:11 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,722 posts, read 3,734,711 times
Reputation: 655

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What is wrong with wanting to better your situation in life? Nothing wrong with having a nicer car, bigger home, bigger bank account, more investments. Having things is not the problem. The problem is when individuals let that wealth and the acquistions go to their head thinking that they are better than another because of how life had treated them. Many people of wealth have remembered where they came from and are grounded. They may have a Bentley but don't let that idea that they are better than anyone else enter the mind.
No, I didn't say that there was anything wrong with bettering your situation.

What I said was that we better ourselfs just to look good with others and use that better life to flash at other peoples face.

Like I've said before in my last post about college degrees, other people go to college to better themselves while others get a degree to use that to flash in other people's face; "Look at me I got a college degree and you don't!"

Those people don't know anything about success because they just want attention, if you don't join their "league" then you're nothing which is the way they look at it and their probably aren't happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,722 posts, read 3,734,711 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Stan is right, and WestCobb sorry but you're pretty clueless. It's a mix of not understanding what we're saying and not understanding the basics of human psychology.

I don't work my butt off and dedicate myself to great goals because I think one day it will make me happy, I do so because it makes me happy *right now* to be pursuing such goals! I love what I do, I have the greatest job in the world in my opinion, because it's what I've always wanted. I would be a filmmaker whether it had the potential to make me wealthy or not. It's more of a bonus that if you really make it big, you'll be extremely rich. Most people won't be, and it's a bad industry to enter thinking you'll get rich, you have to do it for the passion, because you feel like you have stories to tell and that you won't be happy doing anything else.

It's also totally wrong (and a communist viewpoint, at that) that we'd all be perfectly happy with the bare minimum. No, we wouldn't be. And yes, having more money will make me even happier, unquestionably. I got a new car this year, it's one I had my eyes on since it was a concept car, and it's fast, awesome, cool, etc., and makes my day better just driving it. When I have even more money, probably next year, I want to pick up a vacation condo in Vegas, which is going to be a lot of fun and allow me to go to a city I really enjoy more often. If I had more money, I'd eat out more often at some of the nicer restaurants here. Money makes everything possible. By itself it's just a tool, but a very powerful tool when used properly.

To say I would be just as happy in a tiny apartment in a run-down area of town with nothing cool around me and a lousy car, but all of the bare necessities, is just silly.

It's not ultimately about the competition with other people, that is just part of the reality. If I'm going to make it as a big filmmaker, there have to be 1,000 other people who fail, 10,000 other people who fail, to do the same thing. We can't all make it, because that's not how life works. The vast majority will never make it at all, some will hang around the fringes, others will get solid work in the industry but never be rich, others will get better work but never be more than moderately successful. In fact, most of the people I know from 3 years ago from film school have already moved on to other pursuits and the ones who are "in the industry" to some extent don't make any money or are just on the fringes. So the competition element, it's not competition just for itself, it's towards a goal -- I know I have to work harder, learn more, be more dedicated, and have better ideas than the people around me if I want to make it. That's just the reality.

I think competition in general is fun, though, it makes you strive to accomplish things that are worthy of celebration. And for your information, I'm a happy guy, and will continue to be a happier guy, as my dreams come closer to realization. I have always maintained a good, positive outlook on life, but also sacrificed the present for the future many times, towards a goal, and this year I directed my first film, so those dreams were worth pursuing. The greatest competition is with yourself and your own expectations and standards, if you're highly motivated.
There's nothing wrong with being happy with money, just don't let it be the ONLY thing that makes you happy since there's plenty of things out there that makes you happy and doesn't have to be big.

Like for example; I'm a person that's into cars and I don't look at cars like up-to-date late model Mercedes Benzes and Lamborghinis like there the only cars out there that's worthy. I like others cars like Crown Victorias and 1970's Cadillacs...something that has substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,722 posts, read 3,734,711 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Stan is right, and WestCobb sorry but you're pretty clueless. It's a mix of not understanding what we're saying and not understanding the basics of human psychology.

I don't work my butt off and dedicate myself to great goals because I think one day it will make me happy, I do so because it makes me happy *right now* to be pursuing such goals! I love what I do, I have the greatest job in the world in my opinion, because it's what I've always wanted. I would be a filmmaker whether it had the potential to make me wealthy or not. It's more of a bonus that if you really make it big, you'll be extremely rich. Most people won't be, and it's a bad industry to enter thinking you'll get rich, you have to do it for the passion, because you feel like you have stories to tell and that you won't be happy doing anything else.

It's also totally wrong (and a communist viewpoint, at that) that we'd all be perfectly happy with the bare minimum. No, we wouldn't be. And yes, having more money will make me even happier, unquestionably. I got a new car this year, it's one I had my eyes on since it was a concept car, and it's fast, awesome, cool, etc., and makes my day better just driving it. When I have even more money, probably next year, I want to pick up a vacation condo in Vegas, which is going to be a lot of fun and allow me to go to a city I really enjoy more often. If I had more money, I'd eat out more often at some of the nicer restaurants here. Money makes everything possible. By itself it's just a tool, but a very powerful tool when used properly.

To say I would be just as happy in a tiny apartment in a run-down area of town with nothing cool around me and a lousy car, but all of the bare necessities, is just silly.

It's not ultimately about the competition with other people, that is just part of the reality. If I'm going to make it as a big filmmaker, there have to be 1,000 other people who fail, 10,000 other people who fail, to do the same thing. We can't all make it, because that's not how life works. The vast majority will never make it at all, some will hang around the fringes, others will get solid work in the industry but never be rich, others will get better work but never be more than moderately successful. In fact, most of the people I know from 3 years ago from film school have already moved on to other pursuits and the ones who are "in the industry" to some extent don't make any money or are just on the fringes. So the competition element, it's not competition just for itself, it's towards a goal -- I know I have to work harder, learn more, be more dedicated, and have better ideas than the people around me if I want to make it. That's just the reality.

I think competition in general is fun, though, it makes you strive to accomplish things that are worthy of celebration. And for your information, I'm a happy guy, and will continue to be a happier guy, as my dreams come closer to realization. I have always maintained a good, positive outlook on life, but also sacrificed the present for the future many times, towards a goal, and this year I directed my first film, so those dreams were worth pursuing. The greatest competition is with yourself and your own expectations and standards, if you're highly motivated.
Sometimes life it's not about Competition, sometimes people get into the movie business or things easily if-not easily because they had fun with it at first and it somewhat helped them become successful, then later on when they relized(or realized) of what they had done what had got them there they start getting a little strict and want everything right when they weren't strict at first when they weren't worried about competition.

And when I say '' sometimes people get into the movie business or things easily if-not easily because they had fun with it at first and it somewhat helped them to become successful", take this for example; Back in 2005 when I wanted to go out for the High Varsity Football Team(since I wanted to go play for Louisiana State University) I went to training camp, and during that time when I was in training camp I wasn't worried about competing against another player to get the starting job. All I was thinking about was LSU and thinking about going to the next grade while I was having fun at practice doing physical(contact) drills, and what happened while I was trying out for the team....I've made the team became starter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Texas
42,262 posts, read 49,821,133 times
Reputation: 67093
I think it's unfair and wrong to label everyone who likes nice things as superficial and 'show-offs.'

I like a nice tv because I enjoy watching a quality picture and the room is so big, it has to be 60 inches to get the best effect. It has nothing to do with what tv my neighbor has. My neighbor has no clue what kind of tv I have.

I like my $100k car because no other car that's cheaper can go as fast or comes with as much technology as it does - if it did, I would have bought that car! I'm not really into wasting my money to impress my neighbor. What a stupid concept. I really love cars - I have since I was 3 years old and my dad gave me a pedal car...I went everywhere in that thing. It's my hobby and what I enjoy.

I bought a big house because I enjoy the space, I do have issues with claustrophobia, and I wanted a big yard for my dogs. Most of my friends don't even live nearby, so who is going to be impressed? In fact, we have lived here for several months and don't even have several rooms furnished because we don't care what people think about the inside looking 'unfinished.' We'll buy nice pieces as we find them...things that have meaning for us or that we really love. I'm not filling up the house just to make it 'look right.' If it takes years, it takes years.

My parents are always telling me I need to wear 'nicer' clothes, but why? I wear my 'uniform' for work and the rest of the time I wear funny shirts from Target and jeans...I don't care!!! Clothes are to cover your body and I don't find them a priority. If my high-faluting neighbors or members of this community have a problem with that, that's their problem.

Fancy vacations? Have you been on one? After the life-or-death stress of my job, it is really nice to escape the crowds and just be totally waited on hand and foot. So if I take one or two of those vacations a year (usually just one - hard to get away), how does that mean I'm trying to impress people?

Attractive spouse? Why would I want to bang an ugly spouse? Huh??!!!!!! My wife is my best friend in the whole world and that is what means the most to me. Her hotness is bonus!!!!

Yeah, George, I've been to Europe...and I wouldn't want to live their lives. It's very sad, cramped, and the choices seem so limited. I lived with various host families (from average to what was supposed to be 'wealthy') over the years, and I wouldn't trade my life with theirs for one second.

If I can do all this without going into debt or screwing other people over, why do you care what I do?

Last edited by stan4; 11-08-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 04:09 AM
 
4,351 posts, read 5,282,875 times
Reputation: 4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
i think, jonathan, when you're old you're going to find that what determines your happiness most is how others think of you. If you are a man whom your wife respects, your children love and admire, your neighbors trust and seek advice from, your friends know that time spent in your presence will be relaxing and fun, you're going to be happy ... Regardless of where you vacation and how zippy your car is.
I don't agree with that. First, I don't want a wife. Second, I don't want kids. Third, I don't care what my neighbors think of me frankly because nothing could matter less. My friends, loyal, real friends, I care about, and that is it. Do I want respect from my peers, in my own industry? Of course. But I also don't really care what they think of my opinions or my philosophies, I just care about what they think about my work. I don't live my life to make other people happy, that's a miserable perspective and I have no idea how you could possibly be happy altering your behavior and life to make other people happy at your own expense. That's really a mediocre goal.

When I'm older, I will be happy if I've accomplished the things I've set out to accomplish, if my name is a household name and my movies play in multiplexes nationwide. And if I have the wealth and power that I want. It's not my fault that some other idiots aren't happier when they have more, I certainly am. I'm happier now than I was a year ago. And I was happier a year ago than I was a few years before that. The more power I acquire, the happier I become. "What is happiness? The feeling that power is growing, that resistance is being overcome." -- Nietzsche.

If you can be happy just sitting around with family drinking cider, I mean that's great, good for you. I also enjoy the little things sometimes, I like to watch good TV shows, I enjoy playing some video games, I love hanging out with my friends. But TRUE satisfaction, the actual feeling of a deeper happiness, comes from pursuing great goals and realizing I am close to achieving them. Nothing else is fulfilling. I can't be happy just with trivial little things for more than a few days or a few weeks tops (after a lot of hard work, otherwise I get restless if it's more than a few days).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 04:11 AM
 
4,351 posts, read 5,282,875 times
Reputation: 4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
All the best in your indeavers JLB.
Humility wont be one of your achievements.
Humility is in the eye of the beholder. One great definition of humility is "having a right estimation of oneself." If you're good at something, you should know it and be proud of it. If you're bad, you should recognize that too and maybe strive to get better (if you care).

I've gotten this far by being humble in my pursuits, by always listening to people who have more experience than I do, and by learning from everyone around me so that I can grow in my art and my business. I read books constantly on what I do, trying to improve, and never think that I have learned everything about any given area because there's always more to learn. That is humility.

If you have this stupid idea that humility is never being proud of your achievements, that's YOUR insecurity and your problem, not mine. I'm proud of what I'm good at and not afraid to say so, but I also know where I always am still eager to learn and we are never done growing and learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 04:17 AM
 
4,351 posts, read 5,282,875 times
Reputation: 4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
That is quite ironic. First, have you ever been to Europe? Second, in different Standard of living indexes, the US is continually topped by European nations.

Open your mind a little. Chauvinism is NOT the kind of pride a decent person has.
Oh yeah, the standard of living in Europe is great, just like their employment rate! LOL, get real dude, yeah I have been to Europe, it sucks. Everyone is 20 years behind technologically. Heck when I went there in 1997 they didn't even know what the Internet was, nobody had a computer it seemed like.

Their overall quality of living, I am sure, is better. But to say that is to ignore the individual completely and focus only on the herd, which I couldn't give a crap about. Ok yay so the average person in Europe has a better standard of living, what about the BEST POSSIBLE standard of living? It's way higher here. WAY higher. There, your taxes are so massive in most countries you'll never be truly rich. The main reason, in fact, that anyone could state their standard of living is better is because they don't work hardly at all, 30 hour workweeks, which is just the height of laziness, as if 40 isn't low enough (that's not even two days!), but then throw in socialized healthcare and people say, "But see there is healthcare for all in Europe!" "Everyone has a decent standard of living!" Yeah, there is CRAPPY healthcare for all. Yes, everyone lives OK, nobody lives very well.

No thanks, I'll take the U.S. where if you work hard, you can live like a king, just as it should be. Not a bunch of socialist nations where hard work doesn't pay off and isn't rewarding. No wonder they're so far behind. Look at Japan, they work almost 50 hours a week there, and what do you see? A lot better technology and a lot more sophisticated economy than any country in Europe. It's hard to get anything done when you're drinking wine and napping all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
15,372 posts, read 25,601,247 times
Reputation: 19649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
No, I didn't say that there was anything wrong with bettering your situation.

What I said was that we better ourselfs just to look good with others and use that better life to flash at other peoples face.

Like I've said before in my last post about college degrees, other people go to college to better themselves while others get a degree to use that to flash in other people's face; "Look at me I got a college degree and you don't!"

Those people don't know anything about success because they just want attention, if you don't join their "league" then you're nothing which is the way they look at it and their probably aren't happy.
Sorry if you thought I was quoting you. I am speaking generally on this specific subject. Usually when i quote someone their message is mixed with mine. LOL Anyway my thoughts are that I compete with myself. Each day I work at improving my situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 12:26 PM
 
1,041 posts, read 1,263,022 times
Reputation: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Oh yeah, the standard of living in Europe is great, just like their employment rate!
List of countries by unemployment rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see the US isn't doing that much better, and in many case, worse than many European countries. You'll probably say that Wiki is unreliable so I'll let you do your own research and I assure you'll come back with the same results.

Quote:
LOL, get real dude, yeah I have been to Europe, it sucks. Everyone is 20 years behind technologically. Heck when I went there in 1997 they didn't even know what the Internet was, nobody had a computer it seemed like.
Of course, when you're an arrogant 'ugly tourist' like you seem to be, it is no suprise you came up with that conclusion. Some examples...due to its small geopraphy, Europe's broadband internet access developped faster in Europe than in the US. It's cell phone coverage is much better and cheaper (hell, cell phone plans are better in freaking Africa compared to North America). Even some former soviet nations like Estonia are leading the world in computerizing their government. Energy management is much more better in Europe. Public transportation is far more advanced. Comparing the railroads alone speak to that. European products are often equated with high quality, whether it is clothes, luxury, cars, whatever... Can you explain why Germany alone is a larger exporter than the United States with a population almost 4 times as small?

I could go on and on. All of this is verifiable common knowledge and I'm not gonna do that work for you. The European Union has a slightly larger GDP than the US. To claim that it's 20 years behind technologically is not only ignorant, but just plain stupid.

Quote:
Their overall quality of living, I am sure, is better. But to say that is to ignore the individual completely and focus only on the herd, which I couldn't give a crap about. Ok yay so the average person in Europe has a better standard of living, what about the BEST POSSIBLE standard of living? It's way higher here. WAY higher.
Are you part of this small portion of the population who ahve the "best possible standard of living"? I very much doubt so. But assuming you are, you should compare your personal standard of living, not the US standard of living, which whether you like it or not, is an average of every americans.

Quote:
There, your taxes are so massive in most countries you'll never be truly rich.
What is "rich"? Because once you reach a certain amount of wealth, paying 30% or 40% or even 50% doesn't make much a difference. Btw, did you know that the US has the highest or second highest corporate tax in the world? If you're "truly rich", you should be more concerned about that. I would add that at the speed to which the US is debasing its currency to fund its consumer-driven economy, you are being imposed an invisible tax you cannot run away from which affects the cost of EVERYTHING.

Quote:
The main reason, in fact, that anyone could state their standard of living is better is because they don't work hardly at all, 30 hour workweeks, which is just the height of laziness, as if 40 isn't low enough (that's not even two days!),
Have you heard of productivity? It's not the amount of hours you put into work. And just because you're one of those people who likes to be a wage slave doesn't mean everyone should have the same values. You'll also find with a quick Google query that a lot of european countries do not have that much less hours worked annually than your average americans. But then again, it's better to stay ignorant, right?

Quote:
but then throw in socialized healthcare and people say, "But see there is healthcare for all in Europe!" "Everyone has a decent standard of living!" Yeah, there is CRAPPY healthcare for all. Yes, everyone lives OK, nobody lives very well.
What makes you think it's crappy healthcare? I've been to Europe and actually had to use their system twice and it was excellent. Of course, my experience is anecdotal, but it's ahead of your assumptions. And I think we can all agree that americans pretty much have the worse lifestyle imagineable so that goes directly against your supposedly stellar healthcare systems, which has is starting to show its own cracks, especially in terms of comaparative costs.

Quote:
No thanks, I'll take the U.S. where if you work hard, you can live like a king, just as it should be. Not a bunch of socialist nations where hard work doesn't pay off and isn't rewarding.
I'd like to see the type of king you are. And of course, we all know there isn't a single rich european out there. Not one!

Quote:
No wonder they're so far behind.
Again...you're wrong.

Quote:
Look at Japan, they work almost 50 hours a week there, and what do you see? A lot better technology and a lot more sophisticated economy than any country in Europe.
Japan's economy has been stagnating for two decades now. Its traditional exports are starting to decline in quality. It remains an economic juggernaut, but its economy is vastly different than western economies and hard to compare. Obviously, if you are basing your opinion that's it's more advanced because of cute robots and video games, you truly are a simpleton.

Quote:
It's hard to get anything done when you're drinking wine and napping all day.
Yeah, you are a simpleton.

In closing, I'm not European but I hate people who spread ignorance to feed their misplaced patriotism. Try to get basic knowledge before you go off and run your mouth. It's not like it's inaccessible in this day and age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 16,407,699 times
Reputation: 5442
The OP is asking an interesting question and there's a couple of ways to look at it. It's very true that life is competitive and survival of the fittest is something that's very real but I think the OP is really getting at the pretentious nature of many individuals whose main focus in life seems to be trying to present themselves as somehow better than the rest of us due to their acheivements, their possessions, or some measure of their success in life. I really can't stand snobs but I do have a high regard for those who work hard and try to make the best of their talents and skills in order to have a more rewarding life. I see nothing wrong with wanting to have nice things but if the motivation for owning them and being successful is just so you can stick up your nose at other people then all I see is a shallow, self centered person and I don't feel impressed at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top