Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:03 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,602 times

Advertisements

(Not sure if this thread belongs in here but I think so..)

I hate it so much. I don't know if I should take it serious or not because it's "just" an exam to estimate our intelligence. Sometimes I feel really insulted and discourage because I don't have that high IQ that I would like. Of course, I know better to not allow these stupid number to affect but sometimes it's tough when people bring you down because they're a lot "smarter".

I realize that a lot of students care about their IQs, and it seems like people praise themselves or those who have a IQ that is higher than 110. I think the average IQs is around 100? Not sure. Too lazy to do research. I remember a lot of my encounter with students who bragged about how high their IQs is, and I ignored them but was kind of sad about it. I think I'm average, but every (or most) IQ test that I take it score seems to decrease over time.

In one of my course we talked about the Theory of Multiple Intelligences which I appreciated it more because it included other intelligences that most wouldn't consider as "intelligence". I took a Multiple Intelligence test and I score the highest on Intrapersonal. Kinaesthetic and then Visual/Spacial. My lowest is Musical (which I'm totally okay with it because I'm not music smart), Linguistic, and then Interpersonal. For some reason, Naturalistic and Logical seem to be average which I'm very surprised.

Not bragging or looking for pity. Just want to share my thoughts on IQs and how people feel about it.

What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 05:49 AM

419 posts, read 868,512 times
If I recall correctly, IQ is not set. An IQ test only offers insight on how a person is doing at the moment. It can be changed (for better or worse!).

Old 11-24-2010, 06:06 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post

I think I'm average, but every (or most) IQ test that I take it score seems to decrease over time.

Why do you keep taking IQ tests? I was tested in first grade, and that was my only official test. Then as a teenager I let someone test me to practice for a graduate class they were taking. I don't think most people take a bunch of IQ tests over time.

IQ tests measure something, but you are right that they don't measure everything. As a kid I thought it was important to have a high IQ, but I discovered that in the adult world no one cares (except people who want to join MENSA).

Old 11-24-2010, 06:38 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
I am not fond of IQ tests. They might measure one's aptitude for learning in an academic setting (though I have serious doubts about the validity of the scores), but there are so many other factors that affect a person's success. I think we would be better off if they instead had a measure of one's work ethic or ability to work with others or tendency to be organized enough to remember to pay the bills on time. I know people with a higher IQ than mine who are lazy bums that can't even hold a job.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Why do you keep taking IQ tests? I was tested in first grade, and that was my only official test. Then as a teenager I let someone test me to practice for a graduate class they were taking. I don't think most people take a bunch of IQ tests over time.

IQ tests measure something, but you are right that they don't measure everything. As a kid I thought it was important to have a high IQ, but I discovered that in the adult world no one cares (except people who want to join MENSA).
A single IQ test is not accurate so in order to determine IQ usually three tests are required.

As to the OP I am not terribly fond of how many people lie about them. I teach at a school for the gifted and kids usually know their IQs. So when it came up as part of a discussion of normal distribution some kids started spouting theirs. A couple of minutes into this one of my bright but not exceptional decides to tell everyone his IQ is 210. Unfortunately for him, as we finished the discussion of normal distribution it became awkwardly apparent that he was full of crap because it isnt possible to have an IQ that high, and if his was that high it would literally make him one of the three smartest people on the planet.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:59 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,699 times
Title of Thread: IQ Test? Does anyone else hates them?

Quote:
My lowest is ... Linguistic

Old 11-24-2010, 07:44 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
(Not sure if this thread belongs in here but I think so..)

I hate it so much. I don't know if I should take it serious or not because it's "just" an exam to estimate our intelligence. Sometimes I feel really insulted and discourage because I don't have that high IQ that I would like. Of course, I know better to not allow these stupid number to affect but sometimes it's tough when people bring you down because they're a lot "smarter".

I realize that a lot of students care about their IQs, and it seems like people praise themselves or those who have a IQ that is higher than 110. I think the average IQs is around 100? Not sure. Too lazy to do research. I remember a lot of my encounter with students who bragged about how high their IQs is, and I ignored them but was kind of sad about it. I think I'm average, but every (or most) IQ test that I take it score seems to decrease over time.

In one of my course we talked about the Theory of Multiple Intelligences which I appreciated it more because it included other intelligences that most wouldn't consider as "intelligence". I took a Multiple Intelligence test and I score the highest on Intrapersonal. Kinaesthetic and then Visual/Spacial. My lowest is Musical (which I'm totally okay with it because I'm not music smart), Linguistic, and then Interpersonal. For some reason, Naturalistic and Logical seem to be average which I'm very surprised.

Not bragging or looking for pity. Just want to share my thoughts on IQs and how people feel about it.

I hate them too. I took one at 10 and from that day forward was expected to have all the answers. Turns out, I'm the person with all the questions.

I had my dd's records sealed when the school had her tested. This is a no win situation. If her IQ is higher than her achievement would indicate then she's not living up to her ability. If it's lower, then she'll be seen as not as capable. I prefer to let her decide what she wants to do with her itelligence without anyone stamping an expectation (that's what the number really is) on her forehead.

IQ is not the whole picture by any means. It should be seen as neither as a limit or an expectation. Someone with a lower IQ who is willing to work hard can go farther than someone with a high IQ who phones it in. I forget which scientist said this (Einstein or Edison?) but I like the quote: "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration". Do what you want to do. Don't let a number on a test get you down. There's way more to this than one test score.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:11 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Marilyn vos Savant scored 228 when she was 10 years old, which equates to roughly 185 as an adult. Einstein was tested as 189. So was Ms. Savant "smarter" than Einstein when she was 10? I think she would say "no".

There are many problems with the standard IQ tests, not the least being that the term "intelligence" has never been adequately defined. Minorities and economically-challenged populations score consistently lower than well-off whites, yet no one really believes they are not "intelligent".

Intelligence covers many areas that a standard test just cannot measure, so I wouldn't worry about the scores you receive. That being said, it's a shame that such scores can scar a child and decrease his chances of getting a good education or job.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:21 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Marilyn vos Savant scored 228 when she was 10 years old, which equates to roughly 185 as an adult. Einstein was tested as 189. So was Ms. Savant "smarter" than Einstein when she was 10? I think she would say "no".

There are many problems with the standard IQ tests, not the least being that the term "intelligence" has never been adequately defined. Minorities and economically-challenged populations score consistently lower than well-off whites, yet no one really believes they are not "intelligent".

Intelligence covers many areas that a standard test just cannot measure, so I wouldn't worry about the scores you receive. That being said, it's a shame that such scores can scar a child and decrease his chances of getting a good education or job.

Do you have any information on IQ drops from childhood to adulthood? I once started a thread asking where all the gifted kids went and was assured that IQ doesn't change into adulthood. I'm pretty sure it does. I've seen too many "gifted" kids grow up to be considerably more average than they were as kids.

Thanks.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:50 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Do you have any information on IQ drops from childhood to adulthood? I once started a thread asking where all the gifted kids went and was assured that IQ doesn't change into adulthood. I'm pretty sure it does. I've seen too many "gifted" kids grow up to be considerably more average than they were as kids.

Thanks.
Hi Ivory!

Without performing a thorough lit search I can only say that "common knowledge" says that IQ does indeed drop with age. I've seen references to that in many places; of course, that doesn't necessarily make it correct.

Here's a link that references a study done several years ago. It seems they blame loss of perceptive abilities as a major cause of decreasing IQ. I know I read a bit about the decrease in scores due to aging, but that was almost 30 years ago when I was in school - as I've aged I've become less smart, so I've forgotten where the original info came from.

Does IQ Drop With Age, Or Does Something Else Impact Intelligence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology