U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 07:02 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times

Advertisements

I'm a singer. My boyfriend is a jazz pianist. We're always singing to ourselves and to each other.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:04 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,679,670 times
I sing along to whatever's on the radio in my car, along with dancing in my seat. I'll also sing to myself while walking around campus or on the street. I lived for a little while in the VI and it wasn't unusual for people to sing aloud as they went about their dailies.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,226,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
I sing along to whatever's on the radio in my car, along with dancing in my seat. I'll also sing to myself while walking around campus or on the street. I lived for a little while in the VI and it wasn't unusual for people to sing aloud as they went about their dailies.
I especially sing when I'm walking around. Totally doesn't help my case when people talk to me and think I'm ignoring them (I'm deaf) LOL. But oh well I enjoy it too much.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,314,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I find it makes you happy and people who habitually sing to themselves, in the shower or in public, tend to be a bit more joyful and light-hearted about things. It's not a hard and fast rule, of course, but I find it the case. Imo it really does make you forget your troubles for awhile and releases endorphins.

Is it an indicator of personality at all iyo?

The really serious/people with no sense of humour I know rarely sing to themselves.
Well Trimac20, If I had bands like AC/DC, Airborne and INXS in my backyard I would sing everyday! I do it anyway!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:18 PM

38,751 posts, read 37,920,228 times
Maybe they are lonely.....

Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,536,761 times
I hum or sing to myself, but immediate shut up when people notice. When they turn away or leave, I continue.

Thus, people around me perhaps are imaging they hear the Michigan J. Frog from Looney Toons.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:06 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,675,646 times
I sing & hum constantly. Worse though, I've noticed that I'm talking to myself more in public. Like when I'm at the grocery store, I debate about products or try to remember what to buy, then realize I said it all out loud!

"Hmm, white wine or rose with salmon? Or would I be better off with cod?...No, pasta sounds good. Ok, just make up your mind!" Did I need milk? "

Ack..I am crazy!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:11 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I sing & hum constantly. Worse though, I've noticed that I'm talking to myself more in public. Like when I'm at the grocery store, I debate about products or try to remember what to buy, then realize I said it all out loud!

"Hmm, white wine or rose with salmon? Or would I be better off with cod?...No, pasta sounds good. Ok, just make up your mind!" Did I need milk? "

Ack..I am crazy!
I do that sometimes, it helps me think...sometimes right brain needs to clarify things with left brain verbally?

Old 11-26-2015, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,166 times
Smile I sing/hum when I'm happy

...and I recently went to a Beach Boys concert, which was awesome AND a lot of fun...(and dancing!)

Now I have a lot of snatches of their songs stuck in my head, which I catch myself either humming or singing repetitively, with a big grin on my face.... Mostly no-one hears but me, but occasionally I will catch myself humming or singing in the supermarket, and I remember when I was last in love, dancing in the supermarket, too. When I'm feeling that good, I really don't care what anyone else thinks of my behaviour...

But I have also found when I am in a light-hearted mood, and particularly when I'm driving, that there is a song from my childhood that I hum over and over... One day I wondered why I was humming it (the orchestral bit from Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf ) and even though I have probably not heard it since I was about 7 years old (MANY moons ago), I think it must relate to an occasion that I can remember, listening to the record at my grandma's house, when I was feeling happy.... And now it just pops up into my head whenever I feel happy.

Sometimes it's just Pharrell's song....

I was wondering whether musicians, especially singers, sing to themselves too - as in, the singing is a "happy" habit, or just a habit for working out new tunes...? or something else?

Old 11-27-2015, 03:16 AM

1,563 posts, read 1,510,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I find it makes you happy and people who habitually sing to themselves, in the shower or in public, tend to be a bit more joyful and light-hearted about things. It's not a hard and fast rule, of course, but I find it the case. Imo it really does make you forget your troubles for awhile and releases endorphins.

Is it an indicator of personality at all iyo?

The really serious/people with no sense of humour I know rarely sing to themselves.
It may be and indication of personality; I'm one of the exceptions to it then as I'm known to be (by people that know me) to be serious and not have much of a sense of humour (I'd call it rather, a narrow sense of humour). Not that much in public, or at least if I think I'm within hearing distance of people, but I frequently find that I'll sing to myself (usually if there's water running, like if I'm doing the dishes). It's almost always catholic hymns from my childhood that I'll sing; I find them so beautiful and comforting reminders of the words of our Lord and Saviour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or