U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 07:13 PM

27,476 posts, read 17,629,902 times

Advertisements

According to the DSM IV-TR, between 2% and 16% of the population in clinical settings (between 0.5-1% of the general population) are diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). Most narcissists (50-75%, according to the DSM-IV-TR) are men.

We must carefully distinguish between the narcissistic traits of adolescents - narcissism is an integral part of their healthy personal development - and the full-fledge disorder. Adolescence is about self-definition, differentiation, separation from one's parents, and individuation. These inevitably involve narcissistic assertiveness which is not to be conflated or confused with Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD).

"The lifetime prevalence rate of NPD is approximately 0.5-1 percent; however, the estimated prevalence in clinical settings is approximately 2-16 percent. Almost 75 percent of individuals diagnosed with NPD are male (APA, DSM IV-TR 2000)."

From the Abstract of Psychotherapeutic Assessment and Treatment of Narcissistic Personality Disorder By Robert C. Schwartz,Ph.D., DAPA and Shannon D. Smith, Ph.D., DAPA (American Psychotherapy Association, Article #3004 Annals July/August 2002)

Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) At a Glance - Prevalence, Age and Gender Features
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 07:19 PM

2,412 posts, read 4,389,330 times
OK lets do some more research shall we?

I quote [SIZE=2]from The DSM-IV, the official "diagnostic bible" used by mental health clinicians: "Of those diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, 50%-75% are male." (page 660)[/SIZE]

Now WTF kind of statistical statement is that? Anybody whose not totally into their male bashing agenda can see somebody(I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it was a woman) just snuck that in, and the proof reader didn't catch it! 25 percent is a HUGE range! I can safely say I have never heard a stat, stated that way before, in a serious manner. And they even give word play of "of those diagnosed" And walla all the women are stating 75% as if they actually meant the ultimate high end. If I paid you to do research for me and you brought me back a 25% variance, you wouldn't get paid!

Old 12-26-2010, 07:21 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,111,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
In all fairness...

The eMedicine site is cool, but Yahoo's AC has some horrible content - it's like a less-organized Wiki. Look at who wrote that article - a lady who claims Early Childhood Education and freelance writer as her qualifications. I'm sure she just mirrored what she found on other sites.
Those may not be the best sites as I don't feel like searching for anything right now, much less for that, but you'll get the same info on all of them. As you know, I've read on the subject more than enough.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
OK lets do some more research shall we?

I quote [SIZE=2]from The DSM-IV, the official "diagnostic bible" used by mental health clinicians: "Of those diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, 50%-75% are male." (page 660)[/SIZE]

Now WTF kind of statistical statement is that? Anybody whose not totally into their male bashing agenda can see somebody(I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it was a woman) just snuck that in, and the proof reader didn't catch it! 25 percent is a HUGE range! I can safely say I have never heard a stat, stated that way before, in a serious manner. And they even give word play of "of those diagnosed" And walla all the women are stating 75% as if they actually meant the ultimate high end. If I paid you to do research for me and you brought me back a 25% variance, you wouldn't get paid!
There is no male bashing, I googled Narcissism based upon Gender. The data is to refute a MALE who said it was mainly WOMEN who are narcissistic. Actual data indicates that it is 50-50% to 25-75%.

BESIDES that it also says THAT narcissism is only found in .5-1% of the general population. Relatively few overall. It's a term that is thrown around indiscriminantly, like the OP.

I'm not doing my thesis or anything. Go find your own data if you don't like it.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:28 PM

And then some man hater writes a yahoo article, and goes with the high end as gospel. Then somebody else quotes her as gospel. The disinformation age..i love it!

Old 12-26-2010, 07:29 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,290,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Those may not be the best sites as I don't feel like searching for anything right now, much less for that, but you'll get the same info on all of them. As you know, I've read on the subject more than enough.
Gotta agree with this poster. Men are way more likely to have NPD than women. I have done SO much reading on NPD as I was involved with one. In fact, there is an entire site on the Net devoted to NPD and I even have the bible book on it. Too expensive (what a waste of money) and too hard to get through and honestly "we're" over so it doesn't matter. I told this person he was out of my will and, mysteriously enough, he disappeared. He disposed of me like yesterday's old and tattered shoe.

Oh, and Sam on Cheers, ABSOLUTEY! That is a Narcissist to a T.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:31 PM

LOL 25-75% called "data"...lolo,lolololol....it's a total BS guess!

You know, if you go fifteen miles west, and you'll come up on a stop sign, turn left and go another 35 miles..."now hold on, are you sure??" "I'm 25-75% sure!

Would you believe this person and drive 50 miles on their advice?

Old 12-26-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
And then some man hater writes a yahoo article, and goes with the high end as gospel. Then somebody else quotes her as gospel. The disinformation age..i love it!
My reference was co authored by a male, and by what appears to be a woman, but men go by the name of Shannon too.

Quote:
LOL 25-75% called "data"...lolo,lolololol....it's a total BS guess!

You know, if you go fifteen miles west, and you'll come up on a stop sign, turn left and go another 35 miles..."now hold on, are you sure??" "I'm 25-75% sure!

Would you believe this person and drive 50 miles on their advice?
Mental illnesses are not an exact science. As far as I understand it, for most, or a lot of the diseases, it's not like you can run a blood test and see a result. More qualitative then quantitative. Thus you see larger ranges in data results.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:40 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,111,830 times
Quote:
OK, how'd you like that instead? I don't really believe in all those billing codes - be they for physical or mental illness. I only posted it as a response to total BS.

If you ask me at this point, it's not really any disorder at all. All the traits pretty much simply describe general male behavior. To be fair, the borderline traits describe typical female behavior. In other words, it's just our choice whether to consider ourselves men and women or people with personality disorders.

That's why there is so much confusion - because many exhibit plenty of the traits. It's the total lack of empathy that makes the difference, but that's already a trait of a true sociopath. Those cases account for the "small percentage of the population."

Old 12-26-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My reference was co authored by a male, and by what appears to be a woman, but men go by the name of Shannon too.

Mental illnesses are not an exact science. As far as I understand it, for most, or a lot of the diseases, it's not like you can run a blood test and see a result. More qualitative then quantitative. Thus you see larger ranges in data results.
When YOU throw out 25%-75% I can counter that according to some of these sites..up to 75% of people with this disorder MIGHT be women. So what value is such a range?

I'm scanning through a lot quickly and there even seems to be a different definition for males and females. A female would be somebody who spends a lot of time in front of a mirror. A male is being described as totally career oriented. OMG you can so tell a bunch of crazed feminists are behind this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology