U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:20 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,253,072 times

Advertisements

I have one toxic person in my life, (can not dump them), it is to the point it is amusing. If they say gas will be $4.00 this summer, I will say I heard $5.00.

The old glass is half full/empty, does not work, this person thinks the glass will break either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 09:02 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,311,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I'm pretty sure that most of us know at least one toxic person in their life. How do you deal with these people especially if they are family? I've tried physically and mentally removing myself, but it's getting harder and harder.

I've always been a "glass is half full" type of person, but here lately being around such negativity is making me feel so aggravated and down.

I know you can change yourself but it is basically impossible to change someone else, especially if they are toxic.

If anyone has any great words of wisdom or advice I'd love to hear it! My upbeat is being beaten down
I am in the same pair of shoes. If I were you, I wouldn't visit them at all. The only time I would see them is whenever I'm in a family gathering, and they happen to be there too.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:19 AM

320 posts, read 866,469 times
i am in the same position right now ...i need to get rid of my so called friend in my life...i have tried everything with telling her to leave me alone and not writing her back, and i was nice about all of it....she did me so much wrong where it got to the point where i couldn't even sleep at night sometimes because of the damage that SHE has caused me..... i continue to pray for her but i can't deal with her anymore.....i think i will take the approach of dropping her cold turkey ...she does not want to change and improve her lifestyle ....all this lieing that she does and the fakeness in her drives me crazy!. AHHHHH! but i think it would be best if i just ignored her for good...she has not brought any good to my life always sabatoging my life ....i am so so tired of putting up with it, thinking that she will one day change and be a real friend....i am going to take my own advice...sorry just neeeded to vent a little....good luck and i will let you know if my advice works

Old 02-01-2008, 01:00 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,809,137 times
How to deal with toxic people? Just cut them out of your life. For me its easy. Doesnt matter who it is (friend, relative, neighbor) if someone is that bad I just wont deal with them. Very easy for me to do.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:34 PM

4,281 posts, read 9,278,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
How to deal with toxic people? Just cut them out of your life. For me its easy. Doesnt matter who it is (friend, relative, neighbor) if someone is that bad I just wont deal with them. Very easy for me to do.
That's basically what I did. At get-togethers I get the underhand comments or am ignored. That's fine by me. I just don't play into it all. If they want to constantly play the victim then keep on ... just don't expect me to help along.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:30 AM

107 posts, read 70,550 times
Never have I date toxic person because I worry about disease. Some men or women have toxic body because of no shaving or keep things dirty. If I find a person with bad toxic disease like herpses I leave.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 AM

335 posts, read 931,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I'm pretty sure that most of us know at least one toxic person in their life. How do you deal with these people especially if they are family? I've tried physically and mentally removing myself, but it's getting harder and harder.

I've always been a "glass is half full" type of person, but here lately being around such negativity is making me feel so aggravated and down.

I know you can change yourself but it is basically impossible to change someone else, especially if they are toxic.

If anyone has any great words of wisdom or advice I'd love to hear it! My upbeat is being beaten down
Exactly! Your words state "fed up" What I have done is distance myself! The way I figure it life is hard enough w/out surrounding oneself with negative influence.! And with this distance usually accompanies questions in which I answer in this form; "I love you to death but your negativity is not something I need in my life" "If you need a shoulder to lean on I will be your sounding board but if all you want to do is ***** and moan?, leave me out of it!" No ifs and or buts are needed!

Old 02-02-2008, 12:48 AM

10,716 posts, read 31,036,129 times
I personally can't have people like this in my life, unfortunatly the ones I have run into also hang on rather tight and I hate to get into a confrontation with them but often thats what is required to get rid of them.

I believe no matter how bad things are in life, there is always something to be grateful for. I won't be around people who are so negative, they drag me down and make me feel very stressed.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:47 AM

582 posts, read 1,786,200 times
i'm also having some problems with my mother and my 3 sisters which all live together and are constantly trying to stir things up and make life stressful.what i've done lately is just stay away and see each other on a need to be basis other than that i have to think about my wife and children which is my first priority at this point.i don't feel the need to get together and not enjoy each other's company.eventually it will come down to no more family gatherings during the holidays and very few phone calls and cut the ties until people start living there own lives and not worry about others.i'm the type that minds my own business and does not interfere with the way other people live and decisions they make in life but please do not invade my personal life.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:56 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,036,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy K View Post
Never have I date toxic person because I worry about disease. Some men or women have toxic body because of no shaving or keep things dirty. If I find a person with bad toxic disease like herpses I leave.
The thread is talking about people who are emotionally toxic, nothing to do with physical disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or